USMC Dress Blue cover

MurfreesboroMemphis

MurfreesboroMemphis

I just picked up a stripped dress blue cover that I thought was a WWII cover. I cant find any markings in it but it is named to 2 different Marines. One enlisted in 1932 and the other in 1933. Im thinking the cover must be a 1929 pattern cover since it seems both Marines were out by 1937. I wanted to get some opinions. The buttons are pronged and not screw on. Obviously missing the EGA and chin strap which would have given us a good idea. I dont see any marking other than the names anywhere in the cover. Private purchase? Was the depot putting out any covers without marking them? Anyone have any thoughts? Ill post pictures below. Thanks.

-Will

MurfreesboroMemphis

Struggling to add photos. Will post once I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Assuming the cover is non-removable, then you have a pre 1937 hat. As far as private purchase, first thing we would have to see is a picture of the interior. Also, if an issue cap, there should be contract information on the inside of sweatband. For a hat worn until 1937, the EGA is easy to find, but good luck finding the proper narrow chinstrap.

Steve

The interior looks like a typical issue piece from the 1930s. So, any markings under the sweatband?

Steve

MurfreesboroMemphis

The interior looks like a typical issue piece from the 1930s. So, any markings under the sweatband?

Steve

Steve,

I looked closely to see if it is faded but there are no markings. Both names are stamped on the inside of the sweat band. I thought the interior looked somewhat consistent with issued covers but I don't have one from that time period to compare it too. Thanks.

-Will

Will, I've had contract hats with no markings, though not common. Pretty sure your's is normal issue. I'd be surprised it it isn't.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
MurfreesboroMemphis

Steve,

Forgot to respond. Thank you for the helpful information.

-Will