Military Issue Camillus Knife or Civilian?

No Quarter

Hello, is this Cammillus knife military issue or a civilian copy? I'm pretty sure the sheath is civilian as it has no markings and is a very dark brown color. The only marking on the blade is the one pictured. Any comments appreciated.

Jacob

post-162535-0-35405900-1529254553_thumb.jpg

These were found in abundance in the PX, or Post Book Stores in the early 70s. Me, and about every other soldier sported one at Ft Bragg. They were around $5-$7. This version was not issued that I know of. Just my observations. SKIP

This is how Camillus marked the knife after February 1974 to about 1989 maybe a little longer. Generally considered a Post-Vietnam knife. The difference is the earlier knives had (N.Y.) stamped on them to the right of CAMILLUS. The U.S./CAMILLUS N.Y. marked version was made from about 1962-to early 1974. Your knife was marketed both commercially and under Government contract. So yes you could buy them on the open market, Government Exchange Services, and they were issued as well. The sheath is also correct for the knife.

Your Ka-Bar is still a currently issued Marine Corps item. The knife in the picture is an item I know to be in USMC invetory in 2005, and there are many just like it are in armories across the Marine Corps to this day. Currenly each M9/M9A1 pistol on a units Table of Equipment rates an accomanying Ka-Bar. Supply info follows:

Official Designation: Knife, Combat and Sheath

Model: 498 (PN 8180), MIL-K-20277(up to h)

USMC TAMCN: C32502E

NSN: 1095-00-392-4102 (set)

post-106423-0-55059200-1529793207.png

Your Ka-Bar is still a currently issued Marine Corps item. The knife in the picture is an item I know to be in USMC invetory in 2005, and there are many just like it are in armories across the Marine Corps to this day. Currenly each M9/M9A1 pistol on a units Table of Equipment rates an accomanying Ka-Bar. Supply info follows:

Official Designation: Knife, Combat and Sheath

Model: 498 (PN 8180), MIL-K-20277(up to h)

USMC TAMCN: C32502E

NSN: 1095-00-392-4102 (set)

Very true, could be made by ONTARIO as well (since 1980), Their part number for the knife is 498..I have a new one, and love it. It's everything a proper KA-BAR should be. :love:

Usmilitarymuseum, that dark brown sheath is what is called OXBLOOD..is the handle black,(looks like it..) or the same darker brown? If black, would point to later 70's into the 80's. (I've heard 1979 for all black..but not sure..) Sometimes could be mixed between black handle/oxblood sheath, all black, all oxblood, or any combo there of..There is also a blade width/font difference that can nail down the MFG date a lil better too..

post-162535-0-35405900-1529254553.jpg

This looks like the wider variant..so safe to say late 70's/early 80's in my opinion.

Very true, could be made by ONTARIO as well (since 1980), Their part number for the knife is 498..I have a new one, and love it. It's everything a proper KA-BAR should be. :love:

Usmilitarymuseum, that dark brown sheath is what is called OXBLOOD..is the handle black,(looks like it..) or the same darker brown? If black, would point to later 70's into the 80's. (I've heard 1979 for all black..but not sure..) Sometimes could be mixed between black handle/oxblood sheath, all black, all oxblood, or any combo there of..There is also a blade width/font difference that can nail down the MFG date a lil better too..

post-162535-0-35405900-1529254553.jpg

This looks like the wider variant..so safe to say late 70's/early 80's in my opinion.

Yes, the handle is black. I'm guessing it's 1970s/80s too.

Yes, the handle is black. I'm guessing it's 1970s/80s too.

I have one very much like it! Mine has the black handle and black sheath though. I have an all oxblood VN era Camillus too!

It'd be a solid one to use if you enjoy hunting/camping/hiking/exploring, with no worries of damaging a historical item (says the guy who carries a WW2 Ka-Bar to do said activities LOL )

I have one that I bought at a flea market for 3 or 4 bucks a few years ago. It was in terrible shape, so I've used in the garden etc. I couldn't remember if it had NY after Camillus or not. So I went out to the garage to take a look at it. And I can't find the darned thing!!! Grrrrrr...

Thanks all for the information about these knives. Now where the HECK did I put it???????

Mikie