Hello!

Can you help me ,about an pair of brown canvass leggings M1897,see on e bay US , mint, and original??? that is my question.

I have some doubts about it , the painting hook and eyelet is curious for me , i think at this period is leave in its raw state.

Sorry , i can not able to send link , and , have not find the number of item , is in buy it now.

See you

world war I nerd

The relevant high points of the 1897 Canvas Leggings, Specification No. 441, adopted on August 17, 1897, as found in the Quartermaster Corp's specifications are as follows:

• Made from 15 ounce (to the yard) cotton duck that was dyed brown
  • Manufactured in three sizes: No. 1 - No. 2 - No. 3
  • The inside of the edge of the front opening was faced with a 1 inch wide strip of horsehide
  • They featured eight or nine 1/4 inch grommets (size No's 1 & 2 required eight grommets and size No. 3 required nine grommets)
  • They featured seven or eight "long brass studs" (size No's 1 & 2 required seven studs and size No. 3 required eight studs)
  • The leggings were fastened with a round braided cord
  • The leather instep strap was fastened to the legging with one row of stitching and two copper rivets and were secured by a buckle

The specifications did not state what material the grommets were made from, but it would be logical to assume they were made from the brass - the same material used for the posts.

I hope this helps ...

post-5143-0-14899400-1529250651_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

For comparison here is the Quartermaster Corps engravings of the 1895 & 1900 Canvas Leggings which preceded and followed the 1897 pattern leggings.

1895 Canvas Leggings:

post-5143-0-13841000-1529251005_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

For what's it's worth, these were the only Span-Am War canvas leggings that I could find on eBay that fit the description in the original post.

post-5143-0-75473100-1529253591_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

Great thanks for your reply and link , effectively , somes point is no correct compare to the official description, i have see an another ,no mint, but in good condition on eBay us , whith all correct description.

Best regards