US unit signed German flag/banner

chils123

I also picked this up in the same auction I won my US signed Japanese flag.
Unfortunately this one doesn't seem to have any unit information on it, so I'll have to start researching some of the names signed on it and see if I can find some information on where they served. There are a ton of them on here, and I wasn't able to capture nearly all of them. Tried to hi light some of the more interestingly signed examples. There are a bunch local to me in NYS and from PA, where I bought this.
I really like the personalized nick names and such added to some of the soldier's names.
Flag measures about 3x6 feet.
IMG_3253.jpg
IMG_3254.jpg
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg
IMG_3257.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg

Really nice item. With as many signed flags as you see, I'm wondering how they were done. I'm guessing the war was over and these folks were hanging around waiting to go home or to the Pacific.

Thanks guys!

I did some very, very brief searching before work and found a few obituaries. They all tend to list their service as the Army Air Corp, so hopefully I can find out some more details.

I believe that may be from the 369th Fighter Squadron.

From the WWII Memorial Registry on Orval (L.) Clark, SERVED AS AN AIRPLANE PROPELLER MECHANIC, 23 MONTHS WITH THE 369TH FIGHTER SQUADRON, IN ENGLAND. SERVICED P-47 AND P-51 FIGHTER PLANES.

Here is their squadron patch:

post-94991-0-65041400-1529234551.png

Here’s the content on Mr. Robert E. McCormack: “SERVED AS A P-51 PILOT WITH THE 359TH FIGHTER GROUP, 369TH FIGHTER SQUADRON.”

I believe that may be from the 369th Fighter Squadron.

From the WWII Memorial Registry on Orval (L.) Clark, SERVED AS AN AIRPLANE PROPELLER MECHANIC, 23 MONTHS WITH THE 369TH FIGHTER SQUADRON, IN ENGLAND. SERVICED P-47 AND P-51 FIGHTER PLANES.

Here is their squadron patch:

Thank you very much for this Blacksmith!

I was unaware of that site, and will use it much more in the future. Very helpful! Glad I can at least put some more history to this flag! I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to find a unit/branch of service for this one.

You are quite welcome Sir - anytime.

I would recommend researching other names as you have time. Could be signatures from multiple units on it.

All the best!

Thank you very much for this Blacksmith!

I was unaware of that site, and will use it much more in the future. Very helpful! Glad I can at least put some more history to this flag! I was a bit concerned I wouldn't be able to find a unit/branch of service for this one.

You are quite welcome Sir - anytime.

I would recommend researching other names as you have time. Could be signatures from multiple units on it.

All the best!

I started working on it last night. I figured I'd go through and write down every name and address on the flag. I'm just putting a small piece of paper on each one as I type it out. There are alot more than I thought. I think I'm up to 67 right now and only half way through! Out of those 67 I managed to find 7 more on the site and all 7 have references to the 359th Fighter Group (369th Fighter Squadron). I did find one gentleman linked to a tank group though. Same name and city listed. Not sure if that's a fluke or what, but who's to say for sure.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again for the link and help!

• 2 months later...

Really nice item. With as many signed flags as you see, I'm wondering how they were done. I'm guessing the war was over and these folks were hanging around waiting to go home or to the Pacific.

Waiting to go home and hoping they don't go to the Pacific. I suspect you are right, both of mine were clearly done at the end of the war. It seems like that generation was good at keeping mementos as opposed to doing a facebook post and forgetting it. The signed menus and shortsnorters fall into this catagory as well.

Thanks for posting the flag it is a great piece.

USCapturephotos

I was looking at your flag again. I have had several of these over the years (and have two now). This is just an observation but I have had one or two that were dated before the war ended and they were just signed with no unit information. Than I have owned and have seen others signed with dates after V-E day with full unit info so I have wondered if maybe it was a security thing? Again just an observation. So exciting to see some unit info for some of these guys as it gives more teeth to the history of the piece.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Just one more little tidbit. In my original photo collection I have 100+ snapshots of GI's holding captured German NSDAP banners of all sorts....and out of those I think I have only been able to pick out signatures on maybe two of them.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could have been signed while aboard a ship heading back across the Atlantic from Europe to the USA. If thats the case you could have signers from a wide variety of units. Great flag tho!!!! Wow!