USN taped H-4 Bone-Dome

hink441

Recently acquired this H-4 helmet at an antique show. The dealer was not happy with the helmet because someone put silly tape all over the helmet. He told me he was going to peel off all the tape on the helmet. He said it would double the value. I bought it for a good price and felt like I saved this one from losing it's character.

It has a name "W. W. Barton" and is numbered "251".

Any thoughts on who Barton might be and what is the significance of the number?

The mic was found at the same antique show but a different dealer. Not even sure if the mic is correct but it fit and was really cheap.

post-10825-0-23859100-1529086442_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Doyler,

I have found a USMC Major named Barton who was assigned to VMA-251 around 1952-1954. He flew ADs.

The name, time frame, and the number 251 seem to fit.

Here is a screenshot pic of Major Barton.

post-10825-0-95523700-1529095360_thumb.jpeg

Great save! Imagine what this helmet would have looked like if he tried to remove that tape. I think your save serves Major Barton much better.

I agree that you did a great service in saving a nice original example of US Navy flight helmet which helps preserve our military history. I have seen many APH-5 helmets with reflective tape, but very few H-4's. Congratulations on your score.

One question though, It has been my observation that reflective helmet taping was widely used in the late 50's early 60's. Does someone know when USN and USMC started using it ? Also, could the #251 have any reference to numbers used on carrier based aircraft ? Perhaps someone with more knowledge can weigh in. c7zx