WWII USMC 6th Div WIA Okinawa Hervey Sharp

ww2marine

This is a nice group that belonged to Hervey Sharp from Adrian, MI. Sharp joined the Corps on February 17 1942. He did guard duty stateside for the better part of two years before attending scout sniper school in early 1944, earning him the secondary mos-761. By September 1944, Sharp had been assigned to Co. I, 3rd Battalion, 29th Marines and was on his way to Guadalcanal to meet other elements of the division. When the division assaulted Okinawa April 1, 1945 they met little resistance. It wasn't until the 6th division assaulted the Motobu Peninsula that they would get their first real test. On April 12th, the 29th Marines were probing the outer perimeter of Colonel Udo's Mt. Yae-Take defenses. The mountain erupted in machinegun, mortar and artillery fire. Sharp was hit multiple times, taking a gunshot wound to the right thigh and shrapnel in three fingers. He was pulled off the line and sent back to a hospital ship, which wound ultimately take him to Hawaii for recovery. Sharp wouldn't be deemed fit for duty until July 16, 1945. After the war he returned home and married in 1946. Sharp passed away at the young age off 55 in 1976.

post-5600-0-41050500-1529086626_thumb.jpg

Great grouping and excellent write up. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

All thanks to you bro. I wanted to do Sharp some justice and share his story.

Great grouping - Thanks for posting! The dog tags really complete the group - I find stuff with paperwork a lot but not usually with BOTH tags. Well done.

Best,

Bill K.

I served in a National Guard unit out of Adrian for a while and one of my soldiers was named Sharp. Possibly a relation. Very nice grouping from a pretty neat town with a lot of history! Scott

• 3 weeks later...