New Collector. New wings. Navy.

The Rooster

The Rooster

This is something I wasn’t aware of until now. In all of the threads I’ve read on here it’s only really been Meyer restrikes that have been discussed. So is the textured reverse the only way to tell these restrikes? Are there any other tells to look out for? Also, does anyone have any examples to share? I’m keen to understand what to look for, just in case.

Greetings... Here are a few places to look and learn about wings and fakes.

The first site is by a well known member of this forum! You've been communicating with him!

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/USNWINGS.html

Great site. I learned quite a bit from Patricks site.

The second is Bob Schwartz site

http://www.ww2wings.com/main.shtml

Great information here for the new collector like my self!! And You Too!

These Gentlemen started collecting wings before the internet was in play.

In about 3 months Ive been able to start a nice little collection and I havent bought a fake wing yet.

Except that french hat badge .... but it was 10 bucks so no huge. My biggest mistake when I started collecting was that I paid too much for the first few wings.

Im looking for bargains now. And they are out there.

The main thing I can say is there are some real experts on this forum. They wont tell you that but I will. And

by studying these posts and reading these gentlemens sites.... Ive learned enough not to get burned.

Just do some studying.

Ive said it before and Il say it again. Thank God for the internet. It makes collecting wings much easier. M

Makes aquiring them easier too!

Happy trails!

Rooster.

As far as I can see from these photos your LGB wings are genuine.

As John and Patrick pointed out, they should be from 1960's or so.

Probably an old/new stock, but this is a very nice set of vintage Wings anyway.

Mind that Balfour was still in Wings business into the 1970's.

In my collection I have a late 1960's / early 1970's set of Wings marked "Balfour B-21" that is very close to yours.

Not really a restrike, they just kept them in production from 1940's to 1970's, with different gold finishes and markings.

The Rooster

PS: what a beautiful Gold Wings collection, congrats!!! :)

Thank you Tomcatter!.

The Rooster

rooster77,

Welcome and thank you for joining this forum, you'll be glad you did, just as I did. You have a wonderful assortment of US Naval wing badges, all authentic die struck examples, although I wanted to share my opinion on your 1st example, the minty LGB Naval Aviator, I own a minty, like new LGB USAAF Flight Engineer wing with the same perfectly textured reverse. These wings are authentic LGB, struck from their original dies, and generally with nos attachment hardware affixed, however they are not period struck. LG Balfour held on to their WW2 period dies, and made re strikes available around the 70's. For a period one could actually order any wing from LGB's catalog, as long as they had the die for it. Knowing this I still covet mine. They were not available that long and are stunningly beautiful in person. They are not to be put in the same category as N.S. Meyer's re strikes that flood the market. I personally would like this piece of LGB history in my collection.

Steve

I am seeing more of these on e-bay. Some reasonable. Some too expensive for me. But they are out there for sure!

Thank you for the comment.

• 9 months later...
The Rooster

Greetings all, Its been a year since I started collecting Navy wings. Since then Ive branched out. I have more air corps than Navy.

Most all of them are ww2 era.. a few post war and several older pre war.

I also have around 7 Navy Bullion not shown here.

It all started because I wanted a Navy pilot wing so I could have one like my Dads Brother wore. I was promised his wing and last saw it when I was 7. My Dad said he would give it to me when I got older. When I was 19, I asked him for it…. He didn't know where it was. So I wanted to get what I never got so to speak…

And the result a year later is this! Over 60 wings. A couple not shown here and 3-4 that I gave away as gifts…

Im happy with it. Ive been able to acquire some rare wings and have had a great time researching and collecting these.

Ive had a lot of help from you great folks finding out whats what. This forum at times is the only info that can be found on some of these wings!

Thank you to all for your help!

Happy Hunting to all !!

post-181333-0-52845000-1554685114_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

You know.... I really could use another case.... But that would only enable the continuance of the addiction !!!

There are 3 layers to that case..... Im trying to forget about that... !

lol :-)