Requesting help ID'ing this patch

KumaKuma

I've been trying to ascertain the correct nomenclature for this embroidered felt patch and am coming up empty. It's about 3 3/4 inches wide and tall. The three sets of numbers are giving me a fit: 537/40/8. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

post-151710-0-86197400-1529009726_thumb.jpg

post-151710-0-81746600-1529010059_thumb.jpg

40 & 8 was a veterans organization of WW1 veterans

40 & 8 referred to French Boxcars which could hold 40 men or 8 horses and was a standard transport method for the AEF

http://www.fortyandeight.org/

537 Likely refers to a Chapter like the VFW and American legion. If you contact the society they might be able to tell you more about it

EDIT Chapter 543 was in Massachusetts

I am betting that this is an American Legion patch as the 40 and 8 refers to the WWI railcars with signs for 40 hommes ou 8 cheveaux meaning 40 men or 8 horses. It is a society within the American Legion.

Perhaps the 537 is post 537? It is the Col. Jacob Morgan American Legion post 537, Morgantown, Pennsylvania.

Allan

ocsfollowme

Allan is probably right about the post #, though each state could have that number in theory. Pinpointing it may take a few weekends.

I am wring a book on the first hundred years of the American legion national convention badges but I have never really collected 40/8 insignia for whatever reason.

Thank all of you for the input. I would never have figured it out on my own. I was not aware at all of the 40 8 railcars connection to WW1 veterans so I have learned something. Again, many thanks to all of you.