WWII Fighting Knives of the Wisconsin Vocational Schools Display

Mr.Jerry

I posted this in the edged weapons category, but I was thinking that this really qualifies as a home front effort as well. At the last Badger Military Show I put up a small display of my collection of the knives made by the vocational schools here in Fond Du Lac and Fort Atkinson. Made out of leaf springs, they were made by Legionaries, teachers and students and given to local service men free of charge. I will also have a revised display at the Next Badger show in August.

IMG_8601.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

• 1 month later...

Check out this month's issue of Military Trader Magazine for an article I wrote on these knives!

cs-cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The FDL ones were electro-pen engraved, while the Fort Atkinson ones were acid photo etched. Both were marked with the name of the school on one side, and the serviceperson's name on the other. A few I have have rank/rate, service numbers and one even has the unit.

• 4 years later...
Crag the Brewer

Hello Mr. Jerry.

I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I have read articles that included your display of the Knives made here in Wisconsin for our troops during WW2.

I found this forum, and signed up to ask you a few questions, hopefully that is ok?

I'm a part time knife maker, and a friend of mine who is well established in the Wisconsin National Guard asked me if I would help him with a project.

Some of his guys are retiring soon, and in the next couple years..... He wanted to give a Thank You to the guys leaving, and asked if I could make a knife like these Fond du lac knives?

We both agree with they would be appropriate, and I am going to keep all the work here in Wisconsin. Wisconsin serving Wisconsin. I found a local knifemaker who is going to help with the heat treating. I am donating my time in grinding, and assembling the blades. My buddy is going to make the display racks/cases.

I was wondering if You could help with questions of the design?

I'm uncertain of how the butt/pommel looked, if the tang extends through the rear?

The blades thickness?

If you had a scaled drawing with dimensions?

I'm probably going to make them out of 1084 steel.

I can keep you posted with our progress, if you'd like. We have a few months still. I think the first one needs to be finished this fall.

Thank you for everything that you have done, preserving this important History.

That is awesome!

Drop me a line on our website (militarycollectorshq.com) and if you want to stop by the shop in West Allis sometime I would be happy to show you some from my collection.

Jerry