"its all in my duffel bag in the basement"

Trevor M. Larson

Trevor M. Larson

I've been meaning to post this group on the main forum for quite some time and now here it is. back in April I had the privilege of speaking to a local paratrooper about his war time service it was a great interview and when it was all finished he brought out a few photos one of which showed him in his Ike jacket. it then crossed my mind to ask him what had become of it and he simply replied "its all in my duffel bag in the basement" next thing I knew we were both down there looking until it surfaced. then if seeing it all wasn't enough already he then offered to give it all to me; I refused and told him id pay fairly for it all instead. I kept my word and now its the prized jewel of the army in the pacific collection

post-159417-0-76380300-1528834601_thumb.jpg

Trevor M. Larson

the uniforms are all fully patched. ike has all plastic coated wolf browns except the good conduct. the khaki undershirt, ties, and pants are all his as well. the Airborne Os cap patch is a dark blue Japanese madepost-159417-0-98843300-1528834713_thumb.jpg

post-159417-0-71509200-1528834722_thumb.jpg

Trevor M. Larson

this group had a ton of smalls. mostly xtra OS caps, GI tank tops, GI socks, and shorts. but there was also a nearly complete jungle first aid Pouch

Trevor M. Larson

lasty this vet brought back a few spoils, a type 99 rifle with his name on it (ground mum) a gunto, and a Japanese forage cap

post-159417-0-45962600-1528835070_thumb.jpg

post-159417-0-73393900-1528835077_thumb.jpg

Trevor M. Larson

Did you record an interview with him?

Take a picture of him with the jacket and souvenirs. Perfect opportunity.

absolutely, it will be sent off to the library of Congress's veterans history project

BigDogMilitaria

If anyone is for sure gonna take a pic of the Vet and an interview, its my man Trevor ! Love this group

Wow - that is really something. The Type 99 and the sword were included? What kind of shape is the blade in? Love the Pacific theater stuff as that is where my Dad was.

Trevor M. Larson

Wow - that is really something. The Type 99 and the sword were included? What kind of shape is the blade in? Love the Pacific theater stuff as that is where my Dad was.

Yes the sword and 99 were also brought back by this vet. Occupation "pick from the pile" loot. The sword has a handmade (wartime manufacture) blade. A it's a little dirty but there's no chips in it

Trevor M. Larson

Great grouping and story! Thank you for posting!

Curious, no CIB?

Best,

Bill K.

great of you to notice! i'm sure fellow 11th AB collectors will notice his service stripes and campaign stars don't add up either. let me give you all some backstory on this vet. he started out in the engineers and ended up assigned to work on the troopship Imperial on its deployment to the PTO in June 1944. he Remained on the ship until it returned to Washington state and from there he went to jump school. he graduated and returned to the PTO where he arrived just in time for the division's jump at Aparri. according to him he never fired his rifle in anger (although his discharge list a CIB) its clear he chose not to wear it by personal choice.