Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

Those are from George Peterson who has reproducing insignia for many years. In his description of the insignia, he states that those are repros. His shop is National Capital Historical Sales (NCHS) which is also his eBay name.

http://www.nchsinc.com/

I figured, thanks for the responses guys, I dont know much about USMC insignia but have been looking for an affordable WWI era Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (I'm a college student). Hopefully going to get one this summer. I'll post some pics of it.

Jacbo

That's a nice EGA that you are considering, but it actually was issued after the war, 1920 pattern.

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...
skowheganme

IMO - appears a copy since eagle's mouth is closed and not open as originals were ! Most of these are copies as they were often reproduced !

Typical junk, for reasons stated above and more...yuck

99% on the market, unfortunately, are fake

• 4 months later...

This piece of crap brought $331 on eBay awhile back. We've seen countless goonie emblems from whoever is churning this out, they branched out into a 'dancing bird' variant and added a Firmin mark for added BS

I bought one of these for $20 this weekend but the seller did give full disclosure that this was a reproduction - I liked it anyway - I think I will put this on my MCL Cover

Bill

• 2 years later...
On 12/10/2008 at 6:30 PM, USMCRECON said:

As promised, here's my version of this EGA. As I mentioned, I got it as a throw-in when I bought some other items from a fellow over a decade ago and assumed it was a replica. It does appear to have separately applied continents and as you can see from the shot of the back, double screw-post mounts (one nut has temporarily gone MIA somewhere around here.

post-1107-1228951252.jpg

post-1107-1228951792.jpg

I know this post is ancient, but as I clean up the EGA reference, I realize this was never truly resolved

I think it's safe to say that after 12 years, we've all amassed enough experience to know that this particular piece is, quite obviously, a poorly case fake