Unknown, to me, USN wing? USC&GS/NOAA

wartimecollectables.com

For the old U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, a uniformed service that I believe was folded into the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Garth Thompson

For the old U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, a uniformed service that I believe was folded into the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

You are correct. I think the AMICO hallmark would date these in the 1940's.

I believe ATB is spot-on with his identification of the logo.

However, I believe the actual piece, with that straight AMICO hallmark, was concocted by Alan C. Beckman and should be viewed as only a fantasy piece. I understand when Beckman passed away last year, his remaining stock, dies and fake hallmarks all ended up under Joe W.'s control.

I believe AMICO went out of business just after WWI (circa 1949). NOAA was founded in 1970, although the US Coast and Geodetic Survey Corps (USCGSC) preceded NOAA (1917-1965). However, during WWII, the personnel of the USCGSC were almost totally folded into the military and so they weren't active. After the war, starting in the 50's or so, the USCGCS became very active again. To me, the question of a WWII-made wing being used for a post-WWII organization seems kind of dubious.

Furthermore, Russ is correct, the AMICO made USN pilot wings were (as far as I am aware) almost (if not totally) identical to the LGB made wings, with a flat back and the AMICO hallmark in an arc (see example).

In contrast, this wing is more closely like the H&H/Imperial USN wings, with a hollow back.

Also, as Russ has stated, the "straight" AMICO hallmark shows up on fake WWI balloon wings (for example). To my knowledge, I have never seen another vintage AMICO USN aviator wing, with this straight hallmark.

So again, I think Russ is likely correct.

post-1519-0-29900400-1528825170.jpg

post-1519-0-60470300-1528825200.jpg

To add some fuel to the fire, here is a similar with with the GEMSCO hallmark (with a hollow back just like the AMICO marked version).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/205224-nurse-wing-and-noaa-wing/

a similar wing marked "Krew" (which I believe is a post war maker)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26901-unknown-naval-wing/?hl=noaa&do=findComment&comment=195800

And another thread with the "straight" AMICO hallmark on what is attributed to a US Coast Guard wing...(although some of the later posts raised some questions).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210947-wwii-era-uscg-cpo-aviator/?hl=noaa&do=findComment&comment=1658368

Salvage Sailor

Aye,

Note the globe and triangle on many of these items posted here, NOAA The Other Uniformed Sea Service http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/289002-noaa-the-other-uniformed-sea-service/

NOAAS OSS-03 RESEARCHER 001.jpg

USC&GS Emblem.jpg

USC&GS FLAG.jpg

USC&GS Stamp 02.jpg

MastersMate

Did the Coast and Geodetic Survey even have an aviation department or capability. NOAA does, but their current aviator insignia has a different design of the corps device..

Salvage Sailor

It was handled via an arrangement with the USCG as they were both part of the Treasury Department. USCG&S took over this capability from 1964 to 1970 until NOAA was formally established and set up their own Air Operations.

Very interesting history of this arrangement here ---> https://cgaviationhistory.org/1940-coast-guard-and-geodetic-survey/ 1940: Coast Guard Provides Aircraft and Crews for the US Coast and Geodetic Survey

Excerpt: The Coast Guard operated 15 R5D-3/4 (C54) aircraft, nine of which had been acquired from the USN and six from the USAF. The first six R5D-3’s were acquired from the USN in 1945. The remaining nine were acquired after 1949. In addition to logistical and transport duties, these aircraft were used for search and rescue (SAR), service with the International Ice Patrol. Specific missions such as electronic testing and photographic mapping were assigned to specially equipped aircraft. The R5D CGNR 2486 had been a RC54V aircraft, V denoting photo reconnaissance, and in 1960 the nine-lens C&GD camera was installed. This became the photo-mapping aircraft for the next four years.

In 1964, after 25 years of working together the Coast Guard and the C&GS service ended their arrangement for aircraft services. In 1965, the C&GS was reorganized along with the Weather Service and some other agencies to form the Environmental Sciences Service Administration (ESSA) in the Department of Commerce. Under ESSA the C&GS leased aircraft and in 1969 acquired a surplus deHavilland Buffalo aircraft. Converted to aerial photography, this aircraft served for ten years.
The ESSA was reorganized in 1970 and became the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Photo: L to R – LCDR Fred Merritt USCG; LCDR Art Benton C&GS; J.T. Smith C&GS; T.K. O’Driscoll C&GS: The nine-lens camera is installed in PB-1G 7254

camera-PB-1G-7254.jpg