Warrant Officer's Uniform - World War II Era

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

Here is a recent pickup of mine. Belonged to a Warrant officer of the 2nd Corps. Patch has nice stitching. Looks like 7 campaigns as one star is silver, and the others are bronze. Spent a lot of time overseas, and strangely, the bullion has some kind of tarnishing on it. It is not named, but is a nice tailor made example.

Picture_121.jpg

Picture_123.jpg

Picture_128.jpg

A Warrant Officer uniform is not often encountered. Very nice. You need to flip the top ribbon bar so that the Good Conduct is to the left as you view it.

I personally would leave the ribbons alone. A good friend of mine that is good friends with a vet was shown a portriat of him in uniform. The first thing that shocked my friend was how could a Marine have a ribbon bar in the opposite direction then regulations? He said funny story but when he was drunk it looked right to him as he looked down at his shirt before he got his portrait done for his mom.

I agree with KMAG on this. Always leave the ribbons as they are when a uniform comes directly from a vet. Out of proper sequence ribbons on WWII era uniforms is VERY common. To tell the truth, you'll probably find more guys had their ribbons either out of proper order, reverse (in the ones that can be reversed), and with the wrong attachments. I think that adds character.

If the uniform did not come directly from the vet.... well, use your own best judgement on changing the ribbons.

That WO jacket is a beaut!

Agreed with everyone above. I have uniforms that came right from veterans, and the ribbon bars are not only out of sequence, but often times sloppily applied.

CNY Militaria

Thanks for the comments! I will leave the ribbons as is as they came that way and have that look as they have been that way a long time. Also, on the back of each ribbon, they are marked "Viking" along with the title of the ribbon. Very cool. This is my second WO uniform, and am glad to have it, although i just got 11 more uniforms from SOS today! Also, no cuff braid, its a tailor made ike with regular button cuffs.

Two points on cuff bands for WO's.

1. Since this appears to be an Ike, and not a converted service coat, there would have been no cuff bands.

2. WW2 WO's did not have cuff bands though they wore an officer coat. I have one in my collection with the cuff bands in the pocket! After the war, certainly by Korea they did wear them on the service coat.

CNY Militaria

Gil, I have noticed that some wore the cuff braid, others didn't. I suppose its like the Flight Officers of the AAF who wore officer's caps and not WO ones. Perhaps they just didn't care to be different?

Well, here are a couple of Army WO outfits that can be dated. Note that the earlier one, WW2 era, has no cuff bands. I understand this guy was a court stenographer from Cleveland, OH.

W2_WO_1.jpg

WW2_WO_1.jpg

KW_WO_1.jpg

KW_WO_2.jpg

KW_WO_3.jpg

Here's a second Army WO coat, one of my favorites. Note that is has the cuff bands, also that the collar and rank insignia ar direct embroidered bullion. The ribbons are sewn on as is the bullion right cuff insignia. This has KW era patches and ribbons.

• 8 years later...

I have a warrant officers jacket with the branch insignia on the collar instead of the WO pins is this encountered often and was it acceptable during WWII?