US WW2 Herman Jump Boots

on-to-berlin

on-to-berlin

I recently acquired these mint condition jump boots made by Herman. I am pretty sure they are ww2 but not exactly if late war or mid war etc. From when on were they used? Also how common were they?

32946005bu.jpg

32946006px.jpg

32946007zm.jpg

32946008cz.jpg

I typically see the Herman boots in post war Airborne groups and 11th Airborne groups from the 50s.

Herman was a private shoe maker and made shoes for commercial sales

on-to-berlin

O.k. so now I would be looking for nice 1950s 11th Airborne items to create a nice maneqin.

What kind of trousers would have been worn by airborne troups?

OG107s?

O.k. so now I would be looking for nice 1950s 11th Airborne items to create a nice maneqin.

What kind of trousers would have been worn by airborne troups?

OG107s?

If you are wanting to do a Korean War era paratrooper, you are going to need a pair of rigger modified M1943 field trousers with the large bellows pockets added. They are rather hard to find and when they are, they are usually advertised a WWII paratrooper trousers with an accompanying high price tag.

Allan

You can also go with the hbt pattern uniform and pants with hip pockets.

I knew a couple 11th vets who wore these as training or fatigue uniforms.

Easier to find compared to the modified M43-51 trousers.

Here is the uniform I mentioned.

Both he and his brother were in the 11th Abn.He brother was KIA in Korea.

THe shirt is a WW2 modified to post WW2 specs with the smaller pockets.The gas flap was removed but the buttons are still there.

The trousers are the typical WW2 M43 HBT pattern

Maybe more of a garrison or base uniform for duty/work rather than combat

post-342-0-16554100-1528855628.jpg

And just to add something fun, a period depiction of paratroopers in the Korean War era, this from the 1952 movie Jumping Jacks, a movie where the characters are in the 508th RCT, the movie was filmed on location at Ft Bragg, note the M43 trousers on these guys.

on-to-berlin

That looks good!

So then the hunt is on. Sometimes you find nice modified hbts from the 1950s. Seems as if there is not a big demand for these but I always liked these kind of post war uniforms.

What kind of caps would go with that?

• 6 months later...

Very interesting! I can finally put the mystery of my grandpa’s boots to rest. Glad I found this

That's right, there's those small tan or whatever discs on the soles like on the ones you have from him. But they are in different spots, no biggie though, this thing with the discs seem to be somewhat common on commercially made GI boots from different manufacturers in the 50s and 60s.

Like a couple of years ago, at a Army Navy store here in NYC where I live, Kaufman's (The only one of it's type left in all of Manhattan), I seen a pair of Black Combat boots from the 1960s, M1947 type with the toe cap, and not the 1962-63 McNamara type.

Brand new they where, never worn, they had Green discs on the soles, too bad I was broke I would of bought them :lol:

• 5 years later...
Kamiel_Kafka

Thank you very much. Reading your input, it makes me concluded such boost are POST WW2