Pre-WW2 Army Hawaiian Division Khaki Coat

Just got this one.

No QM tag or tailor's label anywhere to be found, and the coat does not appear to be official government issue. Perhaps the coat was locally tailored in the Hawaiian Islands? No name, but both the coat and the two pair of khaki breeches which came with it are marked in several places with both stamp and ink pen with "E 66".

The Hawaiian Division unit patch is interesting because it is multiple piece felt/wool construction, and is attached to the sleeve with several small snaps, making it removable.

The collar insignia are gilt type I discs. Interestingly, there are grommets on the lower lapels for screwback unit crests. I imagine finding a correct matched pair would be near impossible.

If any one has any additional info or observations, please chime in. Thanks for looking.

post-160238-0-94931000-1528720674.jpg

post-160238-0-07775400-1528720710.jpg

With a little perseverance and if you know which infantry regiments were in the Hawaiian Division, you should be able to find two proper DUIs for the lower lapels.

[My feelings are mixed about collectors restoring, making right, completing, or improving uniforms by adding things not there originally. They become all "original" to the uniform when they leave the collector's hands. End of editorial comment.]

atb - I appreciate your input regarding keeping the uniform "as is." Seems like that might be the right way to go for a historic artifact.

Salvage Sailor

Aloha,

The Hawaiian Division felt patch with the snaps is commonly seen on 1930's HD uniforms. There are several examples on the forum, especially in the many yardlong photos I've posted on various topics. it was made this way to be easily removed from the jacket so it could be washed and pressed.

Example from my collection

Hawaiian Division No So Patch 01 lg.jpg

Hawaiian Division No So Patch 02 lg.jpg

• 2 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 6/11/2018 at 2:57 AM, atb said:

With a little perseverance and if you know which infantry regiments were in the Hawaiian Division, you should be able to find two proper DUIs for the lower lapels.

[My feelings are mixed about collectors restoring, making right, completing, or improving uniforms by adding things not there originally. They become all "original" to the uniform when they leave the collector's hands. End of editorial comment.]

There were only (4) Infantry regiments in the Square Hawaiian Division of that period (and the two Infantry Brigades, the 21st and 22nd)

21st Infantry Brigade - Disbanded 1 OCT 1941 - Infantry Regiments to 24th "Taro" Infantry Division in 1941
19th Infantry Regiment - "Rock of Chicamauga"
21st Infantry Regiment - "Gimlets"

22nd Infantry Brigade - Disbanded 1 OCT 1941 - Infantry Regiments to 25th "Tropic Lightning" Division in 1941
27th Infantry Regiment - "Wolfhounds"
35th Infantry Regiment - "Cacti"