Recon Tab ?

doughboy

Hi,

Can anyone of you tell me please, what armor triangle goes with this tab.Thank you in advance.

doughboy

post-15200-0-00763700-1528652288_thumb.jpg

Since it's a GM tab, it could go with any number of armored units stationed in Germany 1950s and perhaps early 60s.

To add to tredhed, looks like an Army Green 44 border there, so if and when something like this would be worn, we should think it would be after 1957 up till lets say 1963 under a Armor Triangle of a divisional Recon unit on the fatiques above the U.S.ARMY tape, these being redesignated Cavalry Regiments under the 1957 Combat Arms Regimental System or CARS that became combat division reconnaissance squadrons, these being those cavalry regiments that were not the already in existence as Armored Cavalry Regiments, the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 11th and 14th Armored Cavalry Regiments.

lamarhooten

This tab looks like one of the ones made by a fellow who made all sorts of named tabs for the Armor triangles. Had bought a few of them in the past for units that had nicknames but not known to have tabs made. Same style of patch/type on it. Just my 2 cents worth.

This tab looks like one of the ones made by a fellow who made all sorts of named tabs for the Armor triangles. Had bought a few of them in the past for units that had nicknames but not known to have tabs made. Same style of patch/type on it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yeah I seen a bunch of those too, there's a lot right now on ebay, from Rng Joe,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xarmored+tab+patch.TRS1.TSS0&_nkw=armored+tab+patch&_sacat=0

This one here, Reconnaissance might be a good one, looks like an AG44 border, would like to see the back of it. those ones you bought, did they look like a legit one, or where they fake looking with OD borders?

Sure - here are more better pics.The tab is german made and has a dark od border.It's not good to see due to the light.I added an army green border patch to the tab for comparison.If I remember right I saw this tab a few month ago under a 141st Tank Bn. Triangle, but can't confirm - I don't find the picture.

post-15200-0-46350200-1528827374_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-03122300-1528827388_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-74993900-1528827397_thumb.jpg

post-15200-0-93180500-1528827407_thumb.jpg

Sure - here are more better pics.The tab is german made and has a dark od border.It's not good to see due to the light.I added an army green border patch to the tab for comparison.If I remember right I saw this tab a few month ago under a 141st Tank Bn. Triangle, but can't confirm - I don't find the picture.

Check, Greener shade OD border. So tab wear if and when these were worn brings it a little earlier back into the 50s, though they still could of been worn into the late 50s into the 60s by Cavalry Squadrons of the divisions. Just what unit might of wore it in pre 1957? It of course would not of been worn as a shoulder patch of an Armored Division, that means it may have been worn by one of the Tank Battalions of an Infantry Division who wore Armored Triangles on the chest (these didn't have tabs) with their division patch on the shoulder, here if worn, a good guess that it might of been worn as a tab under the battalion triangle by the Recon Platoon of the battalion, as an extra embellishment.

Some of you are making this too hard.

Figure out which separate tank bns were on duty in Germany in the time frame and you will have your answer as to the possiblitlies. There were other tabs worn w/ some of these armored triangles.

Some of you are making this too hard.

Figure out which separate tank bns were on duty in Germany in the time frame and you will have your answer as to the possibilities. There were other tabs worn w/ some of these armored triangles.

Yes, could be also a separate non divisional tank battalion as well as a divisional one.

Just for giggles ?? you don't have any clue where and when this tab was worn and you post such a answer - I think this is just for giggles.

Just for giggles, the 141st Tank Batalion

On 24 Jan 55, 141st Tank Bn reverted to NG status, prior to this AG 44 color cable being approved.

On 24 Jan 55, 141st Tank Bn reverted to NG status, prior to this AG 44 color cable being approved.

Yes but member states border color is one of those green shade of ODs rather than AG 44.

greendevilsix

Dear Doughboy,

The 141st Medium Tank Battalion was ordered into active Federal service on 11 September 1950, and reported to Fort Campbell, Kentucky. On 6 November 1950, the 141st was reorganized from a medium to a heavy tank battalion.

As training of the 141st progressed, the men underwent advance unit instruction at Camp Irwin, the Tank Training Center in the Mojave Desert, California. Many officers and enlisted men were sent to combat in Korea during this period.

On 25 July 1952 the Battalion left New Orleans aboard the USS General Greeley, and arrived at Bremerhaven, Germany, on 9 August 1952, becoming Wyoming's contribution to the NATO organization.

Throughout the period from May 1947 to November 1953, the 141st Tank Battalion was commanded by Lt Col Louis A. Hansen. Lt Col John J. Kelly arrived from Headquarters 4th Army, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, to take command on 1 November 1953.

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/ArmoredCav/USAREUR_19th%20Armor%20Gp.htm

​I offered the 141st because I have seen a photo of the SSI being worn with a RECONNAISSANCE Tab which is obviously German made. If and when I find the photo I will post it so in the mean time, how about you unclench and take a deep breath. There was no loss of life, limb or eyesight as a result of my post.