M1936 (?) Pistol Belt W/ Strange Marking

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hello to all. I've read all of the references here on the Forum about the M1936 pistol belts so I'm totally confused. Please take a look at these photos and tell me what this is.

Many thanks,

Lynnepost-1405-0-61482200-1528470547_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-89258300-1528470579_thumb.jpgpost-1405-0-68830300-1528470598_thumb.jpg

summersdogs

Thank you, Eric, for your reply. One thing about the pistol belt in my post is the word "REVOLVER" (at least, that's what it looks like to me) as part of the manufacturer's stamp. I was wondering about that. Also the date appears to be Oct of 1950.

Lynne

I dont recall any photos of the belt shown in use with the carbine pouches.(WW2-Korea-Vietnam)

At the time this belt would have been made many of the carbine pouches were made with the belt loops and the snap had been discontinued.Granted there were pouches in the system with snaps but why make a belt specific to them when the pouches being made/produced at the time were void of the snap?

THe Marines did use the Single M14 pouches on the belts and had snaps on the M61 belts.Makes you wonder if these old stock belts were upgrade to use as M61.

I do have an older style M36 undated belt with snaps and the M61s as well

summersdogs

Hi, Doyler. Thank you for posting. I don't have any M14 pouches to try, but does it appear that the snaps on this belt are too close together to fit those pouches side by side? Also, any idea about that word that looks like "REVOLVER" in my "yellow" enhanced photo ?

Lynne

Dont know about the marking unless it was a way to mark them for use as revolver or pistol.Often revolver is the term for a handgun with a cylinder and a Pistol is the automatic type

THe Marines carried a Single M14 hag pouch.The M14 mag is aprox 3 inches wide

summersdogs

While I already knew the difference in "pistol" and "revolver" regarding military nomenclature, I am still puzzled by the "REVOLVER" stamp on the belt I've posted. Maybe it's a moot point but I'm still bugged. Would not the holsters for the WWI/WWII era Colt 1911 semi-auto as well as the Colt 1917 revolver fit this pistol belt and other pistol belts of the era? If so, why is the stamp "REVOLVER" necessary ? And to the heart of my question about my belt, is it consensus that information is limited or nonexistent as to the purpose of having THAT many snaps on a belt ?

Lynne

• 2 years later...

The military continued to use revolvers in various capacities at least through the Gulf War so the marking indicating the belt’s suitability for pistols and revolvers is appropriate. I’d say the stamping on this example simply reflects the thoroughness of the particular contract/contractor.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 6/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, doyler said:

I dont recall any photos of the belt shown in use with the carbine pouches.(WW2-Korea-Vietnam)

At the time this belt would have been made many of the carbine pouches were made with the belt loops and the snap had been discontinued.Granted there were pouches in the system with snaps but why make a belt specific to them when the pouches being made/produced at the time were void of the snap?

THe Marines did use the Single M14 pouches on the belts and had snaps on the M61 belts.Makes you wonder if these old stock belts were upgrade to use as M61.

I do have an older style M36 undated belt with snaps and the M61s as well

A186813.jpg.c398ae386912381541d9a05d0df8c072.jpg

OPERATION DOUBLE EAGLE – Well-panji-staked gully provides rough going for Marines of “F” Company, 2d Battalion, 4th Regiment during Operation DOUBLE EAGLE.