A9 pants

JS1

Hi all

I was wondering if i could combine a9 pants with either b3 or a2 jackets ? It would be nice to see some period photos too if possible.

Thank you

Johan

What time frame are you looking to do? You have early, mid and late war and then are you looking at a heavy bomber, medium bomber, transport or fighter pilot or crew. Gear crossed over and was used through out the war. The Pacific look was different than the look in Europe.

hi P-59A

Thanks for your help. I do not have any time frame in mind, just wondering if they did use this mix of gear during the war. I browsed through many photos but could not yet find an example. (perhaps to use it to base a mannequin on it).

best wishes

Johan

By mid war the A-2 and B-3 were not a common issued or field used item. They were still around and they were used until supply's of the newer gear arrived. The A-2 by that time was more of a walking around item. The F-2 and later F-3 heated flight suit systems worn with the B-9, B-10 or B-15 jackets along with the A-9 or A-10 pants were so much better than the older A-2 or B-3 leather jackets worn along with the B-1, A-3 leather pants and F-1 blue bunny heated flight suit. I think the only place you might find the A-2 worn with a B-9 would be a fighter pilot. Most fighter aircraft had at least a primitive heating system augmented with a rheostat for a heated flight suit. Cockpits were cramped and fighter pilots have ego's...I can see 1943-44 being a time frame that combo may have been worn. Look for pics from Europe in that time frame.

The F-1 heated flight suit, A-4 flight suit A-5 leather pants and A-2 or B-3 jacket are commonly associated with each other around 42-43. The bomber crewman and pilot would be 44-45

post-169522-0-12688300-1528502190.jpg

post-169522-0-10644100-1528502208.jpg

post-169522-0-88595900-1528502356.jpg

Wow super info. Thank you so much. I also enjoyed your photos. I was told that early war, flying personnal sometimes were using b1 ground crew leather pants. Is that correct? Many thanks.

B-1 flight pants were flight pants to start with. They were used early in the war and used by flight crews until newer gear reached the lines. At that time they became limited standard. I don't know if they were declared obsolete. Ground crews did use them.

One last item I did not mention. For a short period of time they issued the B-13 and B-14 officer and enlisted flight jackets. I have one of each, they look like an Ike jacket. I have never seen a photo of them being used as flight gear and I assume they were worn as walking around jackets. The Ike jacket phased them out.