A list of all Amphibious Assault Operations in WWII

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

As we recognize the 74th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy, lets take this opportunity to also recognize the other amphibious assault operations during WWII that in some cases have mostly been overshadowed by the longest day on June 6, 1944. This is a list that I found online. According to the source, the list below also includes operations that were planned but eventually canceled. Please add any operations that are not represented here and please make a note if there are any errors. Thank you.

MastersMate

Between Operation Hurricane and Operation Typhoon was Operation Cyclone, 2 July 1944, Noemfoor Island, New Guinea. Operation Tradewind on 15 Sept 1944 at Morotai Island..

Salvage Sailor

It should be noted that these are primarily the larger US amphibious operations (some combined with Allied forces). For example, although Cartwheel and Chronicle are on the list, the many Australian landings in New Guinea (Liliput, Postern), New Britain, Borneo (Oboe), etc are not included

Some of the other smaller USMC, USA operations are also not on the list.(Michaelmas, Backhander, Appease)

stealthytyler

Thanks guys. I hope we can get a bunch of feedback and then have a mod go in at a later date on the first post and apply the edit changes.

Garandomatic

There were also landings conducted in late march west of okinawa to secure the April 1 landings. Kerama Retto i believe. Got a named navy M1 helmet to an ensign that was the boat officer of a landing craft there.

• 11 months later...
Mohrlangbaby

Good morning guys, sorry if I'm incorrect in asking but is there a way to know which guys were in which LVT for Operation Galvanic? I know my uncle was in one at H hour & was marooned on the reef & had to wade in, he was PFC John K Mohrlang KIA(no body recovered). I appreciate any help or guidance from your expert hands!