US Navy 2ND LOAD Fixed bail

ghengus

I took a gamble on a fixed bail helmet that had obviously been spray painted black. Stripped it and not only found a great navy blue but also markings to a Navy gun crew. Maybe Anti-Aircraft gun? Still researching. Thanks for looking.

post-7816-0-87055500-1528251133_thumb.jpeg

post-7816-0-16072900-1528251145_thumb.jpeg

LOAD, maybe stands for Loading as in Cargo, the section that handles loading on a ship, maybe a cargo ship??

LOAD, maybe stands for Loading as in Cargo, the section that handles loading on a ship, maybe a cargo ship??

. No, gun crew Second Loader. Type of gun would determine position by the gun

. For example, on a 5 inch gun, with separate ammunition, 2nd Liader stands to the left of the breach and loaded the powder can (1st Loader loads projectile). On 40 mm & 20 mm, 2nd Loader, stands behind or to the side of the First Loader, hands clips (40 mm) or Magazines (20mm) to first Loader.

Burning Hazard

Hi sigsaye, just another question. Would gunners wear M1 helmets in enclosed gun turrets during battles?

Pat

How much did protocol change over time from WWII up until the era that Sigsaye served?

. The guns I served were 5 inch 38s from WW2. Still had the ring and bead AA sights for the Mount Captain. The same 1942 manual was used, so dont think too much changed. And we did wear helmets in the mount. I remember the helmets were old, never got the same one twice. They were pretty neat up. Might have even come with the gun ?

I also served on cargo ships. Never heard the term Second Load used. We always see men to paint the helmets the same color as the handling station ( Red, Blue, Yellow, Green). Crane and winch operators were brown. But that is a different thing. Pretty sure this is second loader for a gun crew.

Same font and color as one of my other navy kids.

You'd also see that size used for names (shorter surnames usually) on dungarees/utility jackets too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

a very similar one from my stash, from AA gun crew ... 1st loader this time !

1stloa10.jpg

Regards, E

That is one awesome navy helmet! Thanks for posting it. Cool to see a very similar helmet out there in someones elses collection. Love the navy helmets