• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

VCS-7 USN D-Day display

I'm not a smoker personally, but it was such a pervasive habit back in the 1940s, especially with the men in service, I feel it helps represent the era accurately. One of the first mannequins I acquired, back in the mid-1980s, was imported from Italy, coincidently, and was sculpted with an open mouth. I took advantage of that feature on another project a couple of years ago, but this time with the help of a spot of Krazy glue. The flight gear of VF-15 ace LT(j.g.) Wallace "Rod" Johnson:

post-9787-0-61360900-1529516116.jpg

post-9787-0-66130000-1529516135_thumb.jpg

I've been considering putting together a USMC or USN pilot for awhile now and your displays look ace! Almost everyone smoked in the service in the 40s. I've been told by Vets that if you didn't smoke you learned to real fast especially after your first time in combat.

Looking for anything related to Army Ranger Battalions from World War II

wow this latest one is actually at the top, realistic-wise.. Impressive, it seems like alive.. great.

Definitely I have to reconsider my old plan, just must be sure not to make any blunders (ehm, 'cazzate' :blush: in Italian slang). In fact, mouth of my guy is indeed a bit too shut.

I'm not a smoker personally, but it was such a pervasive habit back in the 1940s, especially with the men in service, I feel it helps represent the era accurately. One of the first mannequins I acquired, back in the mid-1980s, was imported from Italy, coincidently, and was sculpted with an open mouth. I took advantage of that feature on another project a couple of years ago, but this time with the help of a spot of Krazy glue. The flight gear of VF-15 ace LT(j.g.) Wallace "Rod" Johnson:

Yep, the mannequin looks perfect with the cigarette.

It is one of the things that is historically correct you hardly ever see at re-enactments and very rarely in movies anymore. The least we can do is to represent it correctly in displays!

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

• 11 months later...

Bumped for the 75th Anniversary.

One important new item for the display this year was the Royal Navy FAA dinghy knife, as worn on the Mae Wests issued to the VCS-7 pilots. It took a couple of years searching to track down a correct example, as the FAA type had a unique feature, an additional small dagger, fitted inside the main knife's wooden handle, for use to deflate the dinghy rapidly, when needed.

post-9787-0-57832400-1559776063_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-30551200-1559776328_thumb.jpg

Nice display!

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...