1stLt James Brenden USMC 4th Tank Bn SS, PH

USMCman01

Recent grab that I thought some of you may like. Decided to keep the seller photos as they're good.

This uniform belonged to 1st Lt James A Brenden who distinguished himself during WWII while serving with "B" Company 4th Tank Bn.

While a platoon leader on Saipan. he supervised the unloading of a Sherman tank off of an LCM that was loaded incorrectly and had a danger of capsizing under mortar fire being wounded himself.

For this action he was awarded the Silver Star and the Purple Heart.

For the Iwo campaign, he was assigned XO of "B" Co, 4th Tank Bn.

On an interesting note, Lt Brenden is briefly mentioned in the book. "The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, 1944-1945":

"We got a hell of an education on Saipan," said George Charland, a BAR man with the 23rd Marines. "We made ample use of the flame-thrower as that was a weapon that put terror in them." It had been used on Tarawa before, but never on a larger battlefield where the terrain gave the enemy places to go. And so the fire breathers had to improve their mobility, too. Enter the Satan: Squirting thickened gasoline with pressurized carbon dioxide, it was experimental and unperfected. When the spark plugs got fouled, soldiers would ignite the spewing flame oil by the readiest means, including handheld cigarette lighters. Often, troops could only stare as the terrible vehicles went to work. "How many of their lives were saved by fire we'll never know," a Satan driver said. "The super hot flames reached sixty to eighty yards, deep within caves, and lapped over the top and sides of cliffs. If the flames didn't make contact, concealed troops were often asphyxiated. Captain Ed Bollard and Lieutenant Brenden just shook their heads in disbelief over how precious life could become so cheap in this enlightened age."

Silver Star citation:
The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to First Lieutenant James A. Brenden (MCSN: 0-15114), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity as a Platoon leader, attached to Company B, Fourth Tank Battalion, FOURTH Marine Division, during operations against enemy Japanese forces on Saipan, Marianas Islands, on 15 June 1944. When his command tank was incorrectly loaded on board an LCM which then developed a dangerous list to port and was in danger of capsizing, First Lieutenant Brenden immediately called for volunteers to proceed to the ship's starboard side to assist him in balancing the craft and, although seriously wounded when a hostile artillery shell hit the lighter, contributed to the successful landing of this vital craft. By his outstanding initiative and courage, First Lieutenant Brenden upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

34672374_638099843205044_349904286744628

34701427_638100473204981_748697385208224

34348717_638100519871643_570784043347686

ww2guymandude

Seems like you might have found someone else with the same name, as the uniform has no correlation with anything to a tank battalion, like carbinephalen said. Not to mention, there are majors OLCs instead of Lt. bars.

Ribbons seem suspect. No American Defense ribbon. So, he went in after 1941. But has two awards of Good Conduct Medal (so an enlisted man for quite awhile) and had time left over in the late 40's to get commissioned and make major?

devildog34

No other J A Brenden in the Marine Corps that would fit this uniform other than the Marine assigned to the 4th Tank Bn. It's very likely that someone slapped the ribbons on for display or whatever but that name correlates to the 4th Tank Bn officer and no other I think you have the correct Marine but as you probably know the ribbons do not match James A. Brenden's service nor are they correct for WWII for the USMC/USN so I'm sure that you got your self a coat belonging to James A. Brenden but someone tooled with the ribbons, a fantastic find. That will be a fun ribbon rebuild to restore the ribbons to their correct configuration.

jeremiahcable

I'm with Kevin on this. I also looked for J. A. Brenden on the rolls and the 4th Tank Bn marine is the one that matches for the blouse, minus ribbons. We've all seen sellers and collectors that don't research their uniforms put ribbons and wings on for display with no regard to accuracy. This will be a great one to restore and as a plus, some nice wings and a set of KW era ribbons for other projects. Congrats, I hope you share some pics with the correct ribbons and rank on it sometime!

ParanormalTrooper

Looks to be a Baystaye Militaria listing, and it looks like a few other of their marine uniforms are suspect

doinworkinvans

Looks to be a Baystaye Militaria listing, and it looks like a few other of their marine uniforms are suspect

+1 glad I didnt have to say it first

A simple ancestry search will provide that it does belong to 1stLt James A Brenden and JA BRENDEN is not as common as you would think. I thought it would have been obvious that someone had some fun with with insignia and ribbons (even the PH is ahead of the BSM) and was going to explain that above. Guess I should've....

I do appreciate the feedback and will be restoring the uniform accordingly to Brenden's awards. Jeremiah and Kevin I'll be sure to add updated photos.

ParanormalTrooper

By suspect do you mean wrong ribbons and such or renamed?

Yeah, just ribbons and such. Original names. Some of them look like hump jobs made buy our friend relichunter52 on eBay, perhaps BayState doesnt know all of his uniforms are fake?

Regardless, very nice uniform, OP!

Chris Liontas

Great uniform! Sounds like you got a great one, talk about a rare unit! Much rarer than a pilot anyways! And Scott being who he is, Im 100% sure would have fixed any problem with this tunic. Stuff slips by, but I know he always takes care of his customers.