SAARF Grouping

ParaOps

I was fortunate to recently acquire a nice grouping to 2nd LT Andre Studler, OSS.

2nd LT Studler was a member of the OSS and SAARF with service in France from 1944 to the end of the war. As the photos show, he was highly decorated and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross as well as foreign awards and jump wings.

A synopsis of the DSC citation is: 2nd LT Andre Studler, United States Army, was awarded the DSC for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with the Office of Strategic Services.

Sadly, the group is missing the DSC and MC so would love to hear from anyone who might be able to give me a lead.

Paul

post-101786-0-18217000-1528114066_thumb.jpg

post-101786-0-84827100-1528114165_thumb.jpg

His recommendation for the Military Cross can be obtained online from the National Archives at Kew for £3.50.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. Below is a summary of his MC recommendation.

This American Officer was landed in France by air in April 1944 as arms instructor to a new circuit to be built up by a British orgnaniser in the Orleans area. Although, separated from his circuit for a time, Studler began to train the local resistance group. Later, in his own area, he was appointed chief instructor and sabotage expert. He worked untiringly, travelling around the area instructing the various groups in the use of arms and explosives, organising reception committees and carrying out sabotage. Through his efficient use of the Eureka (which he had to carry with him on his bicycle 20 - 50km every time) large and successful receptions were effected not only during moon periods but also between moons. In addition to numerous minor acts of sabotage on railways and communications, Studler was responsible for several large scale coups de main on important targets, notably the Pont de Beignets (an important road bridge), the bridge over Rolande on the Montargis and the railway shunting points of the Nibelle Station. All these and many other operations were carried out in an area thick with Germans and Studler had many narrow escapes. His chief was arrested in June, and the W/T operator in July, but Studler carried on until he / himself was arrested early in August 1944. After a daring escape, Studler, instead of going into hiding, took to organising a maquis for guerrilla actions against the retreating German forces and took part in numerous ambushes and harassing activities rendering invaluable service to the Armies. The excellent results achieved by this circuit were largely due to LT Studler's magnificent work.

I wonder what how his DSC recommendation reads!

Paul

• 3 years later...

Hello from france

thank for add in forum ,

I know very well this set because it came from my family in france ...

thank to PARAops to contacte me by  private message please 

thank for 

pyb