After 15 years of searching I finally completed my WWII Jungle First Aid Kit Roll

rambob

Well since we are on the subject of jungle first aid kits, I have had this extremely strange carrier in my collection forever. It started life as a mint Davis Emergency Equipment carrier, but it has been modified sometime in its life to be a pouch like arrangement. In looking at the manufacture, a mint carrier had its sides trimmed, which also reduced the depth of most of the pockets. Then it was lightly sewn on the sides to make it into a pouch. Pockets 1 and 2 were cut off prior to this sewing. I believe that this "abortion" was done by one the Army Surplus dealers after WW2 to take a basically worthless carrier and make a generic pouch out of it. Also, the sides are sewn with only one stitch line of a relatively light thread compared to the rest of the stitching. Any other opinions are welcome, but be aware that the kits components do NOT fit well inside the pockets when the pouch is turned inside in, so I think the carrier was purely used for materials, not as I way to make a better kit.

Bob

post-299-0-77850800-1533256896_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-59640000-1533256907_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-35242500-1533256922_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-93872000-1533256991_thumb.jpg

Dustin, here are the roll markings. BTW. The rest of the cloth pockets all measure out exactly as specified in the diagram, so shrinkage should have been consistent on the entire carrier, if it happened.

Bob

post-299-0-85490800-1533257438_thumb.jpg

Is the roll 1-inch x 5-yards ? Or have a stock number on it ?

Maybe shrinkage wasnt the right word but rather the fabric properties are not that malleable any more , if that makes sense, does have the give anymore

Roll is marked 1-inch x 5 yards, but no stock number. Dustin, it may be interesting to measure the pockets on any carriers you may have to compare to mine and the specifications.

Bob

would love to help more but all I have is the paper work. don't own any kits. I am versed a bit on component items though, so understand that area. You'll need others to chime in and assist for more comparison, so we will see if we can generate more discussion from others.

I would like to point out that in Amend-C they are referencing the Carlisle tin with sulfanilamide, the dressing first aid small is principally the same thing but different. Each of those actually have different specification numbers.

Dustin, I have a number of mint Carlisle tins with sulfanilamide, so I can substitute one in as needed. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Specification No. 404 is Packet, First Aid, Carlisle Model (metal, plastic, & laminated asphalt) later amended with the inclusion of sulfanilamide.

Speciciation No. 406 is Dressing , First Aid (Large and Small); this references the early paper wrapped types, boxed types, and those with cellophane wrapper.

By amendment-C the Carlisle model was the preferred type, metal covered with sulfa powder.

The original specifications calls for striclty for the Carlisle model spec. 404. However, in A,B,C the verbiage is changed to reflect spec. 406 as an alternate. So technically the tinned type or even the plastic covered type (it is addressed under the same spec. 404) is the approved type.

Accoding to the line item there is a grace and as stated if it is called for on invitations for bidding.

post-56-0-92226300-1533267524.jpg

Dustin, Here is another photo of my kit unpacked with for four different styles of Carlisle bandages. I will be keeping the OD metal tin with sulfanilamide inside the kit itself unless you feel one of the other is more appropriate. They are all contained in packaging with different materials. The cellophane covered bandage actually has the stock number 92060 printed on it as referenced in your E-5 specification paragraph.

Bob

post-299-0-04121600-1533298795_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-60004700-1533298888_thumb.jpg

Ultimately, things like this can be confusing especially when there were a fairly rapid succession of amendments but with these specs there is now a solid foundation for reference of accuracy. When we break it down the dressings are confusing in its own right. Specifications 404 and 406 both have amendments up to the letter "M" , that's thirteen revisions. Here is where it gets complicated, 406 details the outer covering of metal and plastic transitioning into the asphalt wrapper like you have pictured on the far right. 404 is basically the same thing, it even references the dressing as "Carlisle" type but details the outer carton like the units left and middle in the above image. This where it gets kinky, at a fairly specific time both specifications seem to merge in verbiage or become redundant because spec. 404 additionally details the laminated asphalt wrapper as well, Initially 406 and 404 were distinctively different but eventually mirror each other but co-exist. The asphalt wrapper type becomes the prime superseding item replacing both the tin type and carboard carton models.

Obviously, do as you like and make it work to the best of your ability as there are options and hopefully others join in with there renditions.

This is stated right off the bat in the spec.

post-56-0-80543100-1533309007.jpg

post-56-0-80543100-1533309007.jpg

Inlooking at the kits in the reference section, the MSA kit posted by Survival is dead on for Amend-C kit. Just some of the components need to be switched around to the corresponding pocket numbers. One thing that I found interesting and that as detailed by spec and the drawing, pocket 12 is to contain an Empty vial. Note one of the vials has a blank label, which would be appropriate if it were to ever be filled a hand written note could be applied. I also think the foot powder is with in the parameters of the spec., it does state that it shall not exceed a length of four inches. Suggesting that there are recognizable variations in foot powder.

post-56-0-80542200-1533309628_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-45153600-1533309640_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-80542200-1533309628_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-45153600-1533309640_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

While rummaging around in my photo archives, I found this great image of the jungle kit unrolled. A nice vintage image illustarting the components.

post-56-0-91643700-1554054585.jpg

• 3 years later...
Browninggunner688

Nice, thanks for sharing. I love these M1 jungle first aid kits. You need another scat bottle and a Frazers solution bottle though,  are the tablet vials full of tablets? 

I have a kit that is missing only the Sodium chloride and Dextrose tablets, I cannot find a bottle or box anywhere. (If someone has one that they would part with or know where I can get one please get in touch.)

Nick.

punched primer
13 minutes ago, Browninggunner688 said:

Nice, thanks for sharing. I love these M1 jungle first aid kits. You need another scat bottle and a Frazers solution bottle though,  are the tablet vials full of tablets? 

I have a kit that is missing only the Sodium chloride and Dextrose tablets, I cannot find a bottle or box anywhere. (If someone has one that they would part with or know where I can get one please get in touch.)

Nick.

Yes, one had salt pills that are now salt, other is atrribune and unknown on other

20220905_070823.heic

punched primer
16 minutes ago, Browninggunner688 said:

Nick.

Looks like others pics didn't work,  try now

20220905_184337.heic 20220905_184241.heic 20220905_174736.heic 20220905_174731.heic