After 15 years of searching I finally completed my WWII Jungle First Aid Kit Roll

rambob

Dustin, wasn't the cardboard box just a protective sheath for the Salt Tablet bottle. My bottle that I showed is just missing the outer box, which I believe happened very often when the box got tattered over the years and got discarded. Every time I have seen the Salt Tablet cardboard box, it always seems to be mated with a bottle of the tablets. So please clarify if there were Salt Tablets issued only in a box with no bottle. How would the tablets have been preserved from dissolving in the tropical humidity?

Bob

If that's the case then I'm completely mistaken. I don't know enough about the make-up of that item to comment any further. I assumed the internal packaging was different.

No problem Dustin. Then looks like FM 21-11 seems to be the choice reference for this kit, which is what I had been using for many years. Will post new pictures with the adhesive compresses instead of the cootie powder soon. I don't have any Davis compresses so will substitute in Mine Safety Appliance versions.

Bob

Here is the jungle first aid roll kit packed up, with adhesive compresses instead of cootie powder inside, as recommended by some experts here.

post-299-0-65947800-1528245711_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay, after a recent stroke of luck and coincidence I found some soild information of the roll type jungle medical kit. Here we can now reference the original specifications.

These are the significant aspects to the original drafted tentative specification by the USMD. Fortunately the last page included the USMD drawing, you will note with each amendment the components changed and in several cases the dimensions of the pockets.

post-56-0-62862500-1533186316.jpg

Amendment-C

This is were some significant changes occur as with the hand written note of it being cancelled, obviously replaced by the M2

post-56-0-62085100-1533186684.jpg

In conclusion you can assemble multiple units reflecting stages in assembly and according to the drawings there are multiple variations of the fabric rolls. Once this is digested we can discuss further details of each item.

The foor powder came up in this conversation. The entries all state the same type, note that it is to be olive drab.

I SEE NO ENTIRES IN THE SPECS FOR INSECTICIDE POWDER....which is funny because so many people have them in their kits

post-56-0-97089300-1533217261.jpgpost-56-0-01879100-1533217273.jpg

Dustin, you are duh man for finding this info!! I will dive into it and will look forward to any discussion the occurs later.

Bob

Dustin, Very, Very interesting reading!! You are indeed correct that the lack any reference to "cootie" powder in the specifications makes me now believe that the insect powder was not originally meant to be included in this kit. I am pleased that the can of foot powder I have included in my kit matches the specification exactly! Since I acquired the foot powder for my kit, I was always concerned that the can dimensions were not correct, but it was the best example I could find. Lastly, I measured the pocket dimensions in the cloth carrier for my kit and while it seems to be a Specification C carrier, some of the large pockets dimensions do not really match any of the carriers exactly. Pocket 1 and 2 match the dimensions in the specification C diagram at 3 1/2" and 3 3/4" respectively. However, pockets 6, 9 and 10 are all 3 1/2 inches long instead of 4", 3 3/4" and 3 3/4" respectively. BTW. The foot powder will only fit into pocket 2 at 3 3/4" in length. Thanks again for finding the supreme information to help put questions about this kit to bed!!

Regards,

Bob

Here is an image of what a Specification C jungle first aid kit might look like except, that the only way I could get the adhesive plaster to fit was to put it in pocket 1 which is slightly billowed and to put the foot powder in pocket 2 which is the biggest pocket and also billowed. FYI. The billows on pockets 1 and 2 are due to them being on the end of the carrier and how the hem was sewn,

post-299-0-79366300-1533254675_thumb.jpg

What are the markings on your roll of tape?

It is possible that some shrinkage of the material has occured, or its expandability due to age.