WWII Fighting Knives of the Wisconsin Vocational Schools

Mr.Jerry

I did a small display this weekend at the Badger Military Show of my collection of the WI Vocational School made knives (from Fond du lac and Ft. Atkinson). Most people had never heard of them. So at least now while I continue to look for them I have some more eyes out helping me!

IMG_8601.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

Blacksmith

That is one fantastic looking display Jerry. I remember you posting the unfinished blades and components, and they really add to the story.

Bravo Sir.

Great collection and display. Crozier Tech High School in Dallas did the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't believe anyone has put in the effort like you did to preserve the history. I hope that I am wrong.

Al

Among other things, the school had a state-of-the-art machine shop. Students at schools with machine shop capabilities in the 40's were known for producing knives for their troops, and Crozier Tech was among them. There is said to be at least 1,000 knives produced from Crozier Tech bearing a "Tech High" engraving on the blade.

Hi, Thanks Guys!

I am trying to get a "clean" copy of the newspaper article, and have a few other clippings that I had found. I found a reference to some knives also being made in Janesville, WI. But no one I have talked with has ever seen one of those.

As most of the knives were actually named to the service members I had done a bunch of research on them and I was hoping to have little cards with their names and info (and even photos) where I could displayed with the knives. But getting this together was a bit of a cluster, and I was happy to get out what I did. I'll be doing it again in August and hope to have the bugs ironed out. I am working on a "script" for either a short documentary on these knives, or possibly a small book about them. More questions than answers at the point I'm afraid.

I did find some pretty good info on the Crozier HS knives in poking around the net as well. Nice to see communities rally together.

Great work Jerry! Hope more things come together for you moving forward, but really what you've put together so far is more than commendable.

I love this!

I can only imagine...(as a former voc school guy)

Voc teacher comes in one day and tells the class, "Ok gang, today, we're gonna start making fighting knives for our troops over there", probably to a roar of cheers!!

I couldn't imagine it not to be exciting and have the students full enthusiasm.

I contacted Bob and Rocco about there shows and wanted to know if they had any tables. I was told they don't need any more "damn knives and bayonets at there shows." Very ,very rude guy. I think the guy hates Yoopers. Maybe a Yooper ran off with his wife. I have a very large collection of military knives , bayonets and gear that i bring to shows here in the U. P. Mich and down state. So I'm sticking to Michigan. Anyways you have a very nice collection. I have heard about these knives but have never seen one. Will be looking out for them.

I contacted Bob and Rocco about there shows and wanted to know if they had any tables. I was told they don't need any more "damn knives and bayonets at there shows." Very ,very rude guy. I think the guy hates Yoopers. Maybe a Yooper ran off with his wife. I have a very large collection of military knives , bayonets and gear that i bring to shows here in the U. P. Mich and down state. So I'm sticking to Michigan. Anyways you have a very nice collection. I have heard about these knives but have never seen one. Will be looking out for them.

Ever make it to Novi? That seems to be a decent show, but I've never been..

In addition to the two Military shows they do in June & August. Bob (Rocco is his dog) runs a bunch of gun shows around the state. Most of the gun shows are always sold out, so that may be part of the reason. I think Bob just had some surgery lately too. ( He wasn't at the show) But sorry you had a bad experience. I usually end up just leaving a message on the machine. The August Military show is always pretty good.

I'm sure others will chime in but the NOVI (MAAC) show has been declining in attendance the last few years. If you like antique/older arms and militaria it is a pretty good show but that's not what most people want today, hence the crowds are not as big and as a result so are the variety of dealers. The April show is normally pretty busy and good because they combine the show with the knife collectors/makers association so knife people come from all over to sell and buy the stuff so it brings in new blood. As a result the regulars usually bring out their knives to sell too, so you see a good assortment of all kinds of knives and blades at the show (new and old). A knife maker friend of mine from the UP sets up at the show and I see him there. I had some conflicts this year but I usually try to make the fall, spring, and April show for that reason. I'm also a MAAC member..

Jerry, I always wanted to make it to Iola because I heard from another Yooper that it was a good show to pick up items but I never made it. Are these shows you are talking about related at all to the new venue? I would like to see your display.

CC

Frank Trzaska

Outstanding display, I have a few of them myself and like the presentations on some.

Nice Job.

Yes, you will see some variance in how they did it, sometimes script or block letters, sometimes abbreviated, but generally the soldier's name one side and the schools name on the other.