New Finds - JW Petrie and a nice theater knife

schmooser

Recent find locally.

The JW Petrie was authenicated by Roy Shadbolt, the F/S expert. Listed as a very rare knife, manufactured by Petrie, who was a metallurgist in Meadville, PA. He ink-stamped his logo, which has disappeared on this example. At first look I was sure the sheath was a replacement but according to Roy it is original.

The theater-style knife (age unknown) was from the same source. A Camillus USN MK2 blade, with a beautiful horn handle and brass fittings. The guard makes me think of a Randall. The butt cap is very well done. The sheath is well made with leather stitching.

post-164571-0-89532900-1527896407.jpg

post-164571-0-73197800-1527896420.jpg

Frank Trzaska

Two great knives, I always liked the custom handled Mk2's and this one looks really well done.

I would agree with your original assumption that the Petrie sheath is a replacement, does not look like any of the originals I have seen. Can he supply any support to this being original? Inquiring minds would love to know!

Will need to backcheck with the seller on that. Had no reason to doubt him at the time about what Roy stated.

Roy looked at pictures, and felt the knife was authentic, said nothing about the sheath. I am still pleased with the purchase overall, and will be a little more cautious when dealing with the seller in the future.