New Flak helmet...with swastikas ?

shrapneldude

Hi!

Another trade item from a friend of mine...great flak helmet, swivel bales. Has Swastika stickers / decals on the ears. Was this because of German planes he'd shot down? Some clown trying to increase value? Captured and recaptured item?

post-1424-1227630896.jpg

post-1424-1227630903.jpg

post-1424-1227630911.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Shrapneldude, there were a number of these around in the early seventies, even had one myself, think they were from a cheap film production company or television series.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Shrapneldude, there were a number of these around in the early seventies, even had one myself, think they were from a cheap film production company or television series.

Cheers ( Lewis )

DAMN! I've been hosed... thumbdown.gif

Naah, I wouldn't think so, unless you traded more for it than the 'actual' value of it. Heck, if you want to get rid of it.... :D

That depends on the value of it. Are the stickers the fake part, or is the whole thing fake? Looks good to me -- just has these damn stickers on.

post-1424-1227634383.jpg

General Apathy
That depends on the value of it. Are the stickers the fake part, or is the whole thing fake? Looks good to me -- just has these damn stickers on.

post-1424-1227634383.jpg

OOOPs, hi shrapneldude, apologies, I should have made it clearer the helmet is 100 % they were just adorned with swastika decals.

Cheers ( Lewis )

OOOPs, hi shrapneldude, apologies, I should have made it clearer the helmet is 100 % they were just adorned with swastika decals.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi!

Well that's a comfort then. I thought it was completely fabricated for the movie or tv or what have you.

Yes, it is missing one of the felt ear pieces, and no leather in the headband -- don't know much else about these, in terms of what it should or should not have, but I really like the Fixed bail flak helmet another member has posted on here -- that's a neat piece for sure!

This is my first flak helmet and to be honest, when I saw it in my friend's collection last night, I didn't even know what it was! "What's wrong with that pot there?" haha. But it's a great piece, thought I'm not a helmet collector (too many re-paints for me! and the $10 Hawley fixed bail I had was sold months ago to fund more Marine corps purchases.)

Back on topic, does that helmet have any of the original flocking left?

Hi!

Flocking? Gotta forgive me...new to this. What is flocking?

-Dan

Hi!

Flocking? Gotta forgive me...new to this. What is flocking?

-Dan

Dan,

The flocking is the green felt like material that was used as a outer covering on the helmet.I believe this was done to be a deterent to cold bare steel.Not condusive enviorment to bare skin.I can post or send a pic of mine to you.mine still has the paper instructions in the top.I dont think there was a leather sweatband.I will look at mine.These were worn over a flight helmet and the sweat band would serve no purpose as the A11 flight helmet was leather.

RON

troy marriage

Was about to add a reply about flocking but Ron beat me to it. The only thing I could add is to me the flocking has a kind of furry feel to it. You only need to run your fingers lightly over the shell to feel it.

Troy

As someone has already said, the helmet does not have a head band because the leather flight helmet was worn underneath it. Here is a picture of the flak helmet over the A11.

21l35n8.jpg

Here is a bad picture of what the flocking looked like. Mine is all worn away except around things that protected it like the hinges.

rrnomu.jpg

• 5 months later...

Those decals were put on in the late sixties or early seventies to make them more saleable. I bought one myself from a stack at a surplus store for 3 bucks. They were all in unissued condition, still had the little instruction manual in them, and they all had those silly decals.

Steve