120mm M1 tank APFSDS range pick up.

Everything I have seen points to the almost impossibility to safely demil once loaded....

This is a thread I started at BOCN that I think you jumped in on at the end...but fuzes are discussed in it...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/97845-Completed-57mm-Recoilless-Rifle-Round

I am getting old, I did not realize you are the BOCN Pzjgr. Thanks for mentioning BOCN, maybe some folks here will join up. BOCN is the premier forum for discussing Ordnance of the world, if they can not ID something, no one can. I joined up here as I also collect WW2 militaria, and this is a good site to ID and discuss US related Militaria. Thanks, folks take the time to visit www.bocn.co.uk.

I will add, helmets, firearms, uniforms, patches and bayonets are interesting, but Ordnance is supreme and a rare bird. When Patton was asked " what won the war?", he said " Artillery"....as did Eisenhower and Pershing....

"I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did."

George S. Patton

The Meatcan

I've really been enjoying this "ordnance duel!" Fantastic displays gentlemen, and thanks for the education along the way!

Terry

I've really been enjoying this "ordnance duel!" Fantastic displays gentlemen, and thanks for the education along the way!

Terry

Thanks, my intention has been met, and thanks to Pzgr for engaging and supplying pictures. My intention is to rustle up some interest in Ordnance, a very narrow field, and supply pictures that can be used to ID pieces. I picked this one up a few days ago, a 1944 dated M62A1 3", with the brass casing. Both cases and projectile are uncommon, steel cases were the norm, brass ones very, very hard to find. I already had an M62 w/o driving band markings, it is only marked on the butt end, no date, just M62A1 with a star. I consider this one a hard to find example and nice addition. The Army 3" was used in tank destroyers and anti-tank field pieces....sorry, once again, message " file to big to load"....no picture. How do I get an IPad picture to load?

Thanks, my intention has been met, and thanks to Pzgr for engaging and supplying pictures. My intention is to rustle up some interest in Ordnance, a very narrow field, and supply pictures that can be used to ID pieces. I picked this one up a few days ago, a 1944 dated M62A1 3", with the brass casing. Both cases and projectile are uncommon, steel cases were the norm, brass ones very, very hard to find. I already had an M62 w/o driving band markings, it is only marked on the butt end, no date, just M62A1 with a star. I consider this one a hard to find example and nice addition. The Army 3" was used in tank destroyers and anti-tank field pieces....sorry, once again, message " file to big to load"....no picture. How do I get an IPad picture to load?

You need to run the pics through something like Paint first, reduce in size until under 250k, which is the board limit....trying to keep bandwidth in check...

I'd like to see it!

You need to run the pics through something like Paint first, reduce in size until under 250k, which is the board limit....trying to keep bandwidth in check...

I'd like to see it!

I posted it on BOCN.

Brass M62 in the tube....1943..... Stashed away or I would show the head.... thought I had a picture on my phone ..

post-2641-0-88859200-1528067333_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-69427500-1528067349_thumb.jpg

Ccy, very nice. A few notables, the head case is ink stamped with the projo type that was loaded into the case. That was done at time of loading since the case took a few different projectiles. The black fibre tubes are very nice, would it be possible to post a picture of the white ink stamping on the black tubes ( if it has any). Also of great interest would be a picture of the projectile, as it is stamped inert, I suspect it will be black with white lettering. Very uncommon and desirable pieces. Thanks for posting.

A WW2 dated inert howitzer I have, interestingly, the head case has no markings. This was common, during the war many were loaded empty ( they failed dimensional inspection) and given to Arsenal employees and others for war bond drives, etc.The other one is a Navy 3"/50 AP,also ink marked. Notice the ink markings, usually sloppy, faded, smudged, good to keep in mind when restoring pieces or determining authenticity.

post-180924-0-90756400-1528129184_thumb.jpeg

That is a beautiful case ccyooper! And having the shipping tube takes it to the next level...always love being able to pair a round with its shipping tube or crate.

Here is the HEAT cousin to the APFSDS trainer posted by OP...

post-2803-0-02968700-1528134478_thumb.jpg

I also have quite a few cases without projectiles and vice versa...always looking to luck into the correct other part...

Here is one I'd LOVE to find a case for, but its REALLY tough...

It is a Navy 4" 50 cal common projectile, uised in the navy 4" guns from WWI to WWII time period....it was a 4" 50cal gun on board the destroyer Ward that fired the shot that sunk the Japanese midget sub trying to get into Pearl Harbor on the morning of Dec 7th, the gun itself was preserved somewhere in front of a Gov't building in Minneapolis/St Paul, or at least it was...

The round is a fixed round, I saw a case on Gunbroker once, and that has been the only one I have ever seen for sale....

post-2803-0-21453300-1528134829_thumb.jpg

Pzjgr, I know where one is, however, the surplus shop owner refuses to sell it as it is a shop display item. I have acquired a few pieces from him with his same excuse until I was able to offer him cold hard cash. I was able to buy the pictured WW2 inert marked 105mm H after baggering him about a dozen visits. PM me with your offer, ( he only takes cash offers and I have no idea what the value is).I can help you out as he has a few pieces I still need, he may make a package deal if a combined offer is to his liking...just a long shot, but who knows till you try.

Pzjgr, I know where one is, however, the surplus shop owner refuses to sell it as it is a shop display item. I have acquired a few pieces from him with his same excuse until I was able to offer him cold hard cash. I was able to buy the pictured WW2 inert marked 105mm H after baggering him about a dozen visits. PM me with your offer, ( he only takes cash offers and I have no idea what the value is).I can help you out as he has a few pieces I still need, he may make a package deal if a combined offer is to his liking...just a long shot, but who knows till you try.

I'll shoot you a PM on this....thanks for the tip!

Here is a shot of my 25mm Bushmaster collection...I still haven't figured out why so many of the APDS/APFSDS rounds are missing their caps....

I did the cut away on the end myself...

post-2803-0-87122900-1528159822_thumb.jpg