Auction Houses Change Selling Rules - PC Police coming

ajbUSWM

Just a head's up to everyone... the PC Police have moved beyond eBay to now include AuctionZip and Invaluable auctions who will no longer allow WWII German items to be sold as of June 7th. I believe that Live Auctioneers will still allow such sales.

Not that the change impacts anyone on this U.S. forum, but the PC Police are never satisfied and always look for the next victim... I suspect that U.S. valor medal sales will be next.

I cannot find anything that discusses this change. How did your hear about it? Is this change just for SS items and not all German items?

Also, I did find under the rules for auction zip that it looks like both auction zip and invaluable are owned by the same company.

I believe that everything but the WWII German items were already banned.... the addition is 'Nazi' items.

Again, we don't collect that... but next up in the ban will be U.S. medals... that is what happened on eBay.

I believe that everything but the WWII German items were already banned.... the addition is 'Nazi' items.

Again, we don't collect that... but next up in the ban will be U.S. medals... that is what happened on eBay.

I don't see it the same way. Each one of the banned items listed above can be associated with death and destruction. U.S. medals is a completely different subject. The reaction to U.S. medals is more along the lines of "hero worship". We have tried so hard to reverse the time during the Vietnam War that we have created this atmosphere of worshipping anything and everything to do with the military. Now any medal is viewed as practically sacred by the general population.

TheMariner

Sorry to hear those items are banned just makes them harder and harder to get your hands on them!

Thanks for the heads up!

I find it interesting when someone accuses a privately owned entity of being overrun by the "PC police." Last I checked, a business is free to determine their own policies.

manayunkman

There is a lot of social pressure and who knows what kind of flak they have gotten from who ever and probably many.

I collected Nazi stuff for many years and my bed room, as a kid up until I moved out, always had a ton of stuff on display.

Fast forward to the late 90's to a book my father wrote about his war time experiences, especially this one story.

One night in Holland after curfew, early 1944 my father, who was 13 at that time, was caught by Nazi police with a radio tube in his pocket.

They built radios to listen to the BBC.

They tortured my dad and did things to him I will not repeat and then left him for dead in the Hague park face down in the duck pond.

All those years as a kid until I moved out and then afterward, when he would come and visit me, I would show him and talk to him about the Nazis.

I never knew this story before until I read it in his book and as soon as I finished reading it I called my father.

I begged for his forgiveness for ever having brought anything Nazi into his house and why didn't he ever say anything?

He chuckled and said "Peter... I know your not a Nazi".

He is the only one in the family with this attitude, all the other Dutch members don't want to see it or talk about it.

They are horrified that anyone would want to collect it, let alone that it still exists.

If they had their way it would all be destroyed and they still hate with all their hearts, the Germans.

I understand that emotion and have always respected and never challenged their feelings.

I collected Nazi stuff for many years and my bed room, as a kid up until I moved out, always had a ton of stuff on display.

They are horrified that anyone would want to collect it, let alone that it still exists.

If they had their way it would all be destroyed and they still hate with all their hearts, the Germans.

I understand that emotion and have always respected and never challenged their feelings.

I don't believe everyone wants these items destroyed. I believe others think the items should be in museums rather than collected by individuals.

These items hold a horrific memory in their minds so as you said we should not challenge their feelings. Since they hold such bad memories, they do not understand why an individual would want to collect them.

You stated you collected them as a kid. What was the reason you as a kid wanted to collect them? Since you did not know your Dad's history, did you fully understand the historical significance of those items or did you just think they were cool?

I am certainly not trying to condemn you for collecting as a child but trying to show why some people do not understand why anyone would be interested in personally owning and collecting these items. This has nothing to do with wanting to erase history of destroy anything related to the Nazis but rather trying to keep these items in an environment where they can be used as a teaching mechanism.

I find it interesting when someone accuses a privately owned entity of being overrun by the "PC police." Last I checked, a business is free to determine their own policies.

tasker, the PC Police only attack and intimidate private businesses and citizens to control them. eBay surrendered long ago ... soon the auction houses will surrender and stop selling US items because it offends 5 fat people in Washington D.C. It really offends no one.... it is all about control.

Yes.. private companies are free to do whatever they want... but someone is dictating those changes.. .and it is always the same small group of people and their goal is control and their demands never stop. 30 years from now they will demand the end to selling GI Joes because it spreads masculinity. I'm not kidding... and you know I'm right.

The only way to stop this small radical cabal is to start our own auction house or just continue to sell directly in forums... that is until they bribe congress to outlaw that too... and they will. .

Yes.. private companies are free to do whatever they want... but someone is dictating those changes.. .and it is always the same small group of people and their goal is control and their demands never stop. 30 years from now they will demand the end to selling GI Joes because it spreads masculinity. I'm not kidding... and you know I'm right.

. .

This is ludicrous. It is interesting that the same people who blame anything they do not agree with on the so-called "PC police", also start spouting ridiculous scenarios in order to try to get others to join their band wagon.

Last time I checked, companies run their own business however they believe in their own hearts. There are some companies that I do not agree with such as Hobby Lobby but I just decide to no longer shop at their store rather than spout theories.

If you do not agree with auction zip then stop using them. Plain and simple but stop blaming others because you do not like what they want to do with their own business.

BILL THE PATCH

And why don't you agree with hobby lobby, don't they have rights? The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and the whiners get there way. And now when anyone calls out the PC police , where the bad guys give me a break. This country better wake up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

And why don't you agree with hobby lobby, don't they have rights? The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and the whiners get there way. And now when anyone calls out the PC police , where the bad guys give me a break. This country better wake up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

You did not read my post.

I never said that Hobby Lobby does not have their right to decide how to run their own business. I merely said that I do not agree with their decision so I decided to no longer shop at their store rather than spout ridiculous theories about what else might happen.

Why are you blaming one group when you do not know why the company made their decision? Either stop using them or continue to use them but don't throw around ridiculous theories about what may or may not happen.

tasker, the PC Police only attack and intimidate private businesses and citizens to control them. eBay surrendered long ago ... soon the auction houses will surrender and stop selling US items because it offends 5 fat people in Washington D.C. It really offends no one.... it is all about control.

The only way to stop this small radical cabal is to start our own auction house or just continue to sell directly in forums... that is until they bribe congress to outlaw that too... and they will. .

I personally believe this is a lot of malarkey and outright fear mongering. But thats just me, a non-believer in what I perceive as nonsense.

I personally believe this is a lot of malarkey and outright fear mongering. But thats just me, a non-believer in what I perceive as nonsense.

I guess I'm glad I'm not a baker and decide not to sell a cake to someone I choose not too.....so much for a small business and its rights to refuse service....and yes I have worked in retail and there was a common policy of "No shirt,no shoes,No Service but now I'm sure its also changed.

I guess I'm glad I'm not a baker and decide not to sell a cake to someone I choose not too.....so much for a small business and its rights to refuse service....

BRAVO !!! I guess it is real. I was thinking the same thing. This has been going on for 10 years now... America will stop turning the other cheek at some point... then I'll feel sorry for the PC Police who will be in hiding.

I agree with you. It is interesting how people can twist things to fit their agenda. They scream "PC police" when it goes against what they want but say nothing about how unreasonable their side can be when they get something they want.

There are many ways to view things and the middle of the road is being lost in our country. The atmosphere is now basically "agree with me on X topic or it is the other side out to get us! You better watch out! Conspiracy !"

I’m more disappointed with the political rhetoric being allowed on this forum than anything.

I am a Freemason. We allow no political or religious discussions in our Lodge halls. They are considered sacred spaces. Adherents to this collecting realm would do well to treat our forums and gathering spaces in the same fashion.