1970's M69 Body Armor (with Velcro)

pawtwo

Hello,

So at least I got my first OG flak vest, because these are not so common in Europe.

Many folks use M69 designation for any olive green flak vest with collar. In fact M69 designation was used only for short period of time, probably only for two contracts in 1970:

DSA100-70-C-2106 E.C.T CORPORATION

DSA100-70-C-2108 TRENTON TEXTILE ENG & MFG. CO., INC.

These vests are distinguished by velcro in the front closure in place of zipper. Also these have a pocket inside at the back where you can put instruction manual. There was also RVNAF verson, designed the same way but in Vietnamese sizes with Vietnamese markings on the label.

I'm wondering if this type of vest has seen any action during Vietnam War in US military or not?

Does M69 vest were popular in use, for example during live grenade training? Was it ever used in any clonflict? I'm looking on photos and these are quite rare.

As I'm trying to make late 70s Berlin Wall patrol setup I was wondering if M69 version was in use in Germany in 70's and 80's at all.

I've found only a few photographs from 1992 L.A. Riots where few National Guard members were wearing M69 vests. All others had older "3/4 collar versions" probably made in 1968 and 1969.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yes, I believe I have photos saved to my computer ofM69s being worn in Vietnam. I will post them when I get the chance.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very interesting, I noticed what looked to be shoulder armor but I didn't know of any vest that had it so I thought it had to be something else. I've seen one of those other photos before but for some reason didn't question the armor. Very cool, thanks! The search for an M69 in Vietnam goes on, I swear I've seen them before.