Questions about creases in fabric/flags

avigo

I have quite a few flags and bags. I don't have the means of storing them all flat. Most of them I store folded as I received them or occasionally I'll refold or roll larger items like flags.

But no matter what, things get creased.

Two questions.

1. Is there a way to avoid creasing when folding something? I've heard you put acid free paper in between the folds but I don't understand how this works against creasing.

2. Is there a safe way to remove existing creases? Mainly on WWII era flags, bags (canvas bags, denim laundry bags etc)?

And I guess a third question. Is there a way to store items like this without creasing that is relatively easy? I know you can wrap flags around tubes but that just isn't an option for me right now and what I need to store.

Thanks so much!

Flat is really best, but rolling with acid free paper between so it does not roll upon itself, but is expensive and space eating. the acid free paper in a fold prevents to a certain extent a "harder" fold, and thereby prevents some of the creasing. But you have to leave it be kind of "fluffy"

As for getting rid of creases it really depends on the material used. Wool and cotton are more forgiving and hanging them in a steamy environment. Silk does not ever seem to give up the creases. I have not ironed any of them, as I have no idea how to use an iron. But be wary of color fastness too, as I have seen many flags bleed.

vintageproductions

for silk items I use a standard cleaners steamer. Does not hurt the material.

• 2 months later...

for silk items I use a standard cleaners steamer. Does not hurt the material.

Yes...

That reminds me about a conservator's trick I learned, when trying to clean up textile artifacts.

Lay the artifact flat, and then lay a section of whatever size window screening material on top, then vacuum/steam/whatever through the screening. Works great, non-damaging.