1943 Ithaca with Sweetheart Grips

silverado

What do you all think of this 1943 Ithaca? Came with Sweetheart grips and original grips. I added the pictures. The family kept the original pictures under the grip. Is it all original? Thoughts on value? Thanks.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarheeltim

Looks nice! Risdon magazine is good. It has a Springfield barrel, and according to Clawson, some early Ithaca's had Springfield barrels. I like it!

everforward

Nice pistol....reminds me of the first .45 I had which was an Ithaca.

Was the vet in the Air Corps..? The addition of the lucite or plexiglass grips was something you see from time to time with Air Corps guys that kept their pistols...

Blacksmith

I’ve always liked the Ithacas, as the Blanchard Grinder tooling is very prominent. It makes doing a convincing refinish very difficult. Also looks to be bare / patinated metal in the escutcheon at about 3 o’clock, which is nice. Has the correct 7-rib mainspring housing, and the rest of the small parts are right. Nice original pistol. Some will be turned off by the frame etching around the old plexi grip, but I say it’s part of the history.

Yeah I assume the guy trimmed the grip picture while it was on the frame. That is what led me to believe the plexiglass grips were authentic.

Blacksmith

Can you quote a source on this information?

Never read that anywhere, so would be interested. Ithaca made far fewer 1911A1s than Colt or RR, so Id like to learn the how, if indeed thats a fact.

The majority of British-proofed A1s Ive seen are Colts; though Ive not seen them all. :)

ithica's are nice and see many for sale. ithica also sent over the most 45's for british lend lease.

YOU ARE WRONG. ITHICA WAS FIRST -- THEN COLT-- REMINGTON RAND LAST. I DO KNOW THAT COLTS ARE MORE DESIREABLE TO OWN BUT, I DID SEE THIS I BELEIVE IN THE CLAWSON SOFT COVER BOOK. ANY WAY HERE IS MY BRIT LEND LEASE. IT IS A LATE WAR IN REAL NICE SHAPE. FRAME, SLIDE AND BARREL MATCHED.

post-73-0-28291900-1527715055.jpg

post-73-0-52156800-1527715093.jpg

I DONT KNOW WHY BUT, I HAVE SEEN MORE ITICAS UP FOR SALE THEN OTHER MAKES AND MOST ARE IN BEAUTIFUL LIKE NEW SHAPE.

post-73-0-34988600-1527715199.jpg

Blacksmith

LOL... You are funny Costa.

Im wrong about what? WWII 1911A1 USGI production numbers?

I can assure you thats not the case.

In order from least to most, they are (and the exact numbers are from memory. So, if Im off by 10%, give me some latitude. Also note there is some disagreement between printed contractual quantity sources).

The order is 100% right:

Singer - 500

US&S - 55,000

Ithaca - around 225,000

Colt - Just north of 500,000

Remington Rand - Depending on whose number you believe, between 850,000 to 1,200,000

Check your books and get back to me pal.

YOU ARE WRONG. ITHICA WAS FIRST -- THEN COLT-- REMINGTON RAND LAST. I DO KNOW THAT COLTS ARE MORE DESIREABLE TO OWN BUT, I DID SEE THIS I BELEIVE IN THE CLAWSON SOFT COVER BOOK. ANY WAY HERE IS MY BRIT LEND LEASE. IT IS A LATE WAR IN REAL NICE SHAPE. FRAME, SLIDE AND BARREL MATCHED.

not aggressive at all. my key board has a mind of its own-------------- im not getting into an info war about numbers or who is smarter then the other. just what I saw----------------------- if im wrong, then im wrong but, im not going to get heart burn about it.

Blacksmith

Oh trust me, Ive zero heartburn. I said Ithaca made fewer 1911A1s than Colt or RR, and you responded with you are wrong.

Just trying to make sure the facts are clear.

not aggressive at all. my key board has a mind of its own-------------- im not getting into an info war about numbers or who is smarter then the other. just what I saw----------------------- if im wrong, then im wrong but, im not going to get heart burn about it.

I didn't mean colt made less then ithica. its what was sent to England as lend lease. it is my understanding that ithica's were more in number then colt with Remington rand being the least. I know about singer and uss with the rest. im talking about those 45 auto's as lend lease sent to England.

phantomfixer

in regards to the OP...which grips will you display the pistol with?...none of my business...just curious.....very nice pistol...

Patchcollector

Cool gat.The best place to keep a photo of your Baby is right under the grips of your trusty ol .45 ;)

Longbranch

Nice pistol....reminds me of the first .45 I had which was an Ithaca.

Was the vet in the Air Corps..? The addition of the lucite or plexiglass grips was something you see from time to time with Air Corps guys that kept their pistols...

These types of grips are certainly not AAF specific. I've read several primary source accounts from other branches of the Army, and even the Navy, that discussed producing and selling these during WW2. Anyone that could get their hands on the material and had access to rudimentary hand tools could fashion up a set for personal use or for sale/trade material.

everforward

These types of grips are certainly not AAF specific. I've read several primary source accounts from other branches of the Army, and even the Navy, that discussed producing and selling these during WW2. Anyone that could get their hands on the material and had access to rudimentary hand tools could fashion up a set for personal use or for sale/trade material.

True. In my own experience of seeing these most of them were tied to AAF personnel, which is logical due to their proximity to supplies (or scraps) of plexiglass on a post or repair facility.

in regards to the OP...which grips will you display the pistol with?...none of my business...just curious.....very nice pistol...

Right now I have the original grips. When I find some original pin up pics, the sweetheart grips are going back on. He was an Army vet from what I know.

Very nice, what is the first three of the serial number?

I was asking because it might be a very early Ithaca that started with a Colt produced WW1 frame that was used to jumpstart Ithaca's early production.

Chris