Navy Corpsman Helmet, trunk find.

77th Inf. Div.

77th Inf. Div.

Last weekend had a friend contact me to look at a Navy trunk that was found in an attic. Trunk was stenciled for a Carpenter, but below is what was inside which included the helmet, a Navy medic bag with contents, a USMC canteen carrier, other web gear, and the trunk was also used for storage of 1940's era boys toys and treasures. Items are not for sale.

post-12344-0-72594600-1527639097_thumb.jpg

Could 67 stand for the ship say CVE 67 USS Solomons,

. Most likely, just an accounting number Helmet #67

77th Inf. Div.

As several members have asked about possible ID's here is the stenciling on the trunk lid. The smaller text denotes "CH. Carp. J. Fisher" so I believe this to be a Carpenters Mate's Chest.

post-12344-0-46628800-1527689254_thumb.jpg

77th Inf. Div.

Also, some of the webgear is stenciled for what I read as "Sharp J T" as shown below. Therefore, I am unsure of the ID for the helmet and medic bag.

post-12344-0-54311700-1527689381_thumb.jpg

Honestly, this looks like a collection of goodies, rather than one mans stuff. The trunk is named to a Chief Carpenter. The helmet is a ship board helmet. It has spent time sitting in a helmet rack, due to the rust/ wear ring (and color & number). Lets face it, we all have collections of stuff that were not issued to us. At one time or another, Ive had everything in that box, and a box stenciled to an Admirals Staff. Still, great collection!

77th Inf. Div.

sigsaye, I agree that the trunk is not related to the helmet and medic bag or the other web gear. Trunk also had toys and keepsakes of a boy from the 1940's. Am wondering if J T Sharp stenciling on the web gear is related to the helmet and bag though. Thanks for the replies to everyone.