leather stiffening

bay.223

Does anyone know of anyway to stiffen leather up that have become overly pliable over the years? boot leather to be exact. will dark spots on leather be taken care of or at least minimalized with Pecards antique leather dressing? does anyone have before and after pictures of thier leather restoration?

also two of the metal eyelets are missing on my WWII leather boots where would i get replacements? anyone ever replaced them before?

thanks!

BRAD

Does anyone know of anyway to stiffen leather up that have become overly pliable over the years? boot leather to be exact. will dark spots on leather be taken care of or at least minimalized with Pecards antique leather dressing? does anyone have before and after pictures of thier leather restoration?

also two of the metal eyelets are missing on my WWII leather boots where would i get replacements? anyone ever replaced them before?

thanks!

BRAD

Other than to ruin it by getting it really wet and letting it dry that way, I don't know of any way to stiffen worn leather.

The fibres of the hide have simply loosened with age, and there isn't any going back that I'm aware of.

I think someone once said that leather is old meat, slowly decaying. It seems that some treatments can delay the decay, but once leather reaches a certain state, there's no going back.

If you do a Google search for leather conservation you can find some helpful sources such as this one: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/anth605/File7.htm

Okay thanks for the help guys....

at least i can take the cracking out and discoloration with pecards...

does anyone have before and after pictures using pecards antique leather dressing on thier leather? i'll post some with my WWII buckle boots and see what everyone thinks, maybe if i do good enough job it'll clear up alot of opinions about what leather dressing to use......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Klorvin Borno
I think you have made a wise decision with planning to leave it......untouched!

Cheers.

My question doesn't really apply to these specific boots, but if you had a pair of boots that was highly polished when you got them, would it be wrong to continue to polish them over the years?

I'm asking from 2 perspectives, 1 is from the standpoint of originality, and the 2nd is would the polishing be better for the leather?

• 5 months later...

I bought a beat up and stitch-ripped brown McKeever pouch. I restitched it throught the old holes and then polished it brown. I like it. It was not representative before and now it is. Under that limited circumstance, I justified the repair and polish. If the condition is not so bad, I simply knock off the dirt and whatever and leave it alone. I have to think about it but I would not think that it would be so off-the-wall to put a new coat of shin-o-la on them. m.c.lilley