Update on my Posthumous Purple Heart Book

Dave

doinworkinvans

Dave thank you for your hard work and dedication to the memory of these soldiers. Your hard work tells just how much you care.

Simon Lerenfort

Late to the thread, but I also hope to see this in print one day, it sounds a fantastic piece of work and I hope as an old fashioned book worm that you decide that print is an appropriate memorial to the heroes who gave all for the freedom we enjoy today. I look forward to the day I can read it as well.

Best of luck with your endeavours and thank you.

Best wishes,

Simon.

Dave thank you for your hard work and dedication to the memory of these soldiers. Your hard work tells just how much you care.

I agree. I can't wait to buy Dave's book.

Thanks for the encouraging words! Here are a few (very) zoomed-out shots of the pages I'm working on. I'm trying to include as many medals, as well as tell the story of the men and women who earned them as possible - all in a 6x9 format book. Hopefully from these, you can see the direction I'm heading. Note the rectangular box in the images (the bluish/pinkish one is on the InDesign program and won't be actually published. Likewise, the pages are missing headers and page numbers. And, I'm getting better at InDesign (not easy to use) as well as Photoshop as I go along! (No doubt I'll probably greatly edit some of my original chapters as my skills increase!)

Screenshot_42.jpg

Screenshot_43.jpg

Screenshot_44.jpg

Screenshot_45.jpg

Dave,

It looks awesome! Great work! I look forward to buying a copy however it gets published.

I can not even begin to imagine all of the hard work that went into this publication. Definitely a labor of love!

Gary B

Hey Dave !!!

Looking forward seeing/reading/owning a copy of your Purple Heart book !! I'm sure I'll recognize a good portion of the book...pics are fantastic !!!

Vic

FYI - I still owe you a pic of the posthumous Korean War Navy Purple Heart !! Haven't forgot !!!

It's great that your work will be available to collectors. Self publishing is a wise decision as a heavily-illustrated collectors book like this wouldn't be practical for most trade publishers. Have you considered getting advice from a graphic/book designer? There may be one among the members here who would be glad to help.

Dave - I can't wait to get this book. Kudos to you for taking on this assignment. I look forward to learning more about Purple Hearts and the appropriate types by period, and always enjoy seeing awards in historical context. It is unbelievable to me that Schiffer not only baled on this assignment, but took so long to inform you.

The one benefit of self-publishing is that you get to drive the product and produce it exactly as you desire. You are not at the mercy of a publisher and do not have to hand them the vast amount of sales revenue even though you did almost all the work. I published my EK Documents book the same way and am working on another project that I will also self-publish. The margins they give are laughable.

I also think a good book on Purple Hearts will be a great reference to present in the argument against owning/trading them. A book like you are writing will be a tremendous resource in regards to convincing Congress or similar that PH collectors are historians, not thieves.

Brian