Canteen Cover 1918, unusual maker and hanger

gitana

This is a pristine cover with an unusual manufacturer. I don't have it on any of my lists, but maybe someone out there knows it.

Secondly, the hanger is very long. It appears to have been factory stitched.

Thoughts?

post-14792-0-50771900-1527470807_thumb.jpg

L. Ravich & Sons of Queens, NY got a contract for 20,000 dismounted canteen covers. The contract is dated 12/28/1917. I believe this was their only contract. I have a similarly marked one, though not as nice as yours. The double-hook hangers, were supplied by the government and should be the same shape and size as any other. My guess would be that someone removed it long ago and another owner put a piece of heavy brass wire through the hole and re-bent it.

L. Ravich & Sons of Queens, NY got a contract for 20,000 dismounted canteen covers. The contract is dated 12/28/1917. I believe this was their only contract. I have a similarly marked one, though not as nice as yours. The double-hook hangers, were supplied by the government and should be the same shape and size as any other. My guess would be that someone removed it long ago and another owner put a piece of heavy brass wire through the hole and re-bent it.

From Queens eh! no search found on them online, wonder where they were located, me being from Queens and all.

Thanks for that information, I hadn't seen that company mentioned before.

As for the hangers, the previous owner had noted that it was from an artillery unit. I don't know how that association was made, or if it's accurate, but do wonder what was the benefit of the longer hangers. And if it was made as a one-off or at the unit level.

Patches. The address on the correspondence I have is Aqueduct, LI, NY.

Jon P

Hey thanks, a rural part of Queens back in the day :D, kinda like where a portion JFK Airport and Aqueduct Race Track are located today. of note the use of LI NY instead of Queens NY, this is the way they did it years and years ago, at least till the post WWII period, cause a lot of Queens neighborhoods for early WWII Next of Kin Dog Tags of guys list neighborhood followed by Long Island IE John Doe 1688 Madison Street Rigdewood LI NY, and have this officially listed in records.