WAVES Officer Cap

CombatEng44

CombatEng44

While antiquing in Michigan I spotted a super nice WWII WAVES Officer Hat hidden under some vintage clothing. The owner thought it was an airline stewardess hat. Anyway, it was missing the insignia. I picked up one in PA last week but then I noticed that the "oval" material for the background for the insignia is missing. No indication it was ever there but it had to be.The "ribbon" around the cap is present...just not the insignia material.

My basic question is: It appears that the post-war caps had the same setup but I'm not sure for how long. Did the women's dark blue change to black like the men's? What time period? There is one on Ebay now that appears to be the correct color/style but is obvious way post war. I'm hoping I can use one such as this. The material is ribbed and somewhat stretchy due to that ribbing.

If anyone has one laying around I could sure use it to finish my hat.

Also, I was wondering how the oval material was attached to the cap.if anyone has a WWII WAVES Officer's cap. I looked on line but no good photos.

Thanks!

Steve

WWII Legacy Girl

Alrighty - I just went and looked at my WWII WAVES Chief's hat. Sorry - I had to have it in front of me to see what you were talking about. The stiff part that holds up the big eagle is definitely blue as opposed to black. The women's Navy hats went black in the 50's. I don't have the exact date in front of me. So, to have it be WWII, you'll need the blue "stiff circle" piece.

David Minton

Could you have an early post WWII enlisted cap? I believe the only difference between an officer and enlisted cap of this period was the band, and the insignia. I have a cap attributed to one of the first women to enlist in the US Navy in 1948, and it is as you described, except it has the anchor/propellor pin fastened to the band.

Take a look at this recruiting poster. Sorry the image is small. From the reference to the "Space Age" I assume this is from the last 1950's to 1960s.

post-132988-0-51223800-1527372012.jpg

CombatEng44

My first thought was that it was post WWII but it had a WAVES label in the hat's crown and not any of the late or post war labels. Everything I've seen says it is WWII but missing the insignia and circle. It IS blue, for sure.

This grouping on Ebay has the exact piece I need from the hat. I think the stiff material connects to the button or snap located in the brim that the combination tops connect to. Hey, I might just be whistling Dixie here and don't have a clue what I've talking about. I've never known much about the Navy but this gives me a chance to investigate a tad. Thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Later-Womans-US-Navy-Nurse-Corps-Medals-and-Insignia-Group-Identified/192547690458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ellie, I'll try to get some photos and send to you. I need to take the time and learn how to post photos here. Sorry.

WWII Legacy Girl

My first thought was that it was post WWII but it had a WAVES label in the hat's crown and not any of the late or post war labels. Everything I've seen says it is WWII but missing the insignia and circle. It IS blue, for sure.

This grouping on Ebay has the exact piece I need from the hat. I think the stiff material connects to the button or snap located in the brim that the combination tops connect to. Hey, I might just be whistling Dixie here and don't have a clue what I've talking about. I've never known much about the Navy but this gives me a chance to investigate a tad. Thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Later-Womans-US-Navy-Nurse-Corps-Medals-and-Insignia-Group-Identified/192547690458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ellie, I'll try to get some photos and send to you. I need to take the time and learn how to post photos here. Sorry.

Sounds good! You have my email if you want to send pics directly

David Minton

Remember, the US government made far more uniform items than were needed. The US Navy was issuing WWII uniform items into the 1960s, at least I have read.

It is possible you have an officer's cap that was issued to an enlisted woman, post WWII, with a band as you have. I have a WWII labeled SPARS cap that is in a similar configuration, attributed to a woman who enlisted in the US Navy in 1948.

Remember, the US government made far more uniform items than were needed. The US Navy was issuing WWII uniform items into the 1960s, at least I have read.

It is possible you have an officer's cap that was issued to an enlisted woman, post WWII, with a band as you have. I have a WWII labeled SPARS cap that is in a similar configuration, attributed to a woman who enlisted in the US Navy in 1948.

. Just to add to this, I went to boot camp in January, 1973. Two guys in my company, who were really small guys (32-34 chest, or so), were issued WW2 style white jumpers. They noticed theirs had patch pockets and Loops on the front and asked why theirs were different. Also, I had a girl friend at NAS North Island. I noticed that her dress blue jacket had a Waves label. I was surprised by that, as at the time, the Navy was trying hard to get rid of that Title. She also was a small lady. She was an Avionics Technician on E-2 Hawkeyes and could fit into small spaces the guys couldnt reach. She was also issued a foul weather jacket which looked like the original Army Field Jacket (N-4?). So, yeah, Stuff was still going out in the early 1970s.