Should I clean up my WW2 B-4 Life preserver

Phfly1010

I have a decent condition 1944 Army Air Forces life preserver. It does have some stains and other things that take away on the overall look of it, but you do get the feeling that it could have seen action. I was considering cleaning up some of the stains/marks on the life preserver. Any suggestions on how to do it? Any particular issues I might run into? Any experience in doing this? Can you get the overspread rubber glue off? I do prefer buying authentic and hopefully used were condition items, so I don't want to completely change or take away the use look. Thank you for any suggestions.

pararaftanr2

Photos of your vest would be helpful. As for the "overspread rubber glue", that was done at the factory during assembly, is 100% original, and should not be corrected. Maybe look at some vintage photos of the vests in use and you will see what they looked like and what was considered "serviceable" condition. Cosmetics were not important, but functionality was. If it shows dirt from 70+ years of storage, then I would remove that. Gentle soap and water should do the trick without doing any damage. Any harsh chemicals may tend to affect the color of the material adversely though, so I would avoid that. If metal parts are rusted, you may want to address that also, as it would not have been tolerated in service. Good luck!

post-9787-0-45584000-1527352923.jpg

post-9787-0-74140200-1527352933.jpg

Pararaft is right on the money. Residual rubber cement is factory. Warm water with a light mix of dish soap cleans pretty well without ill effects. Beware any scrubbing around ink stampings. Likely you won't get it that clean, if a 1944 manufacture, it is a tight weave cotton sateen material. This means the cotton fibers are stained and grime builds in the almost invisible to the naked eye cavities. You'll get it somewhat refreshed but won't get too far without a heavy obtrusive scrubbing.