Question about "airborne" demo bag

ironsights66

ironsights66

Is the airborne demolition kit strictly an airborne item or is this a collectors term and anybody could have used them? The reason I ask is I'd like to do a engineer display and I'm not sure what a typical engineer carried his explosives and related equipment in. If this is something that changes from early war to late I would appreciate someone pushing me in the right direction. Also where does the satchel charge bag figure in this? thanks

Rakkasan187

Here is a link to one that I found a few years ago..

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/223401-1st-pattern-airborne-troops-demolition-pack/?hl=%2Bairborne+%2Bdemolition+%2Bpack

Although identified as an Airborne demolition pack, there is proof that ground troops used this as well, in addition to Marie Raider units utilizing the pack in the Pacific, so I don't think it was all inclusive to just Airborne units..

Leigh

ironsights66

Here is a link to one that I found a few years ago..

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/223401-1st-pattern-airborne-troops-demolition-pack/?hl=%2Bairborne+%2Bdemolition+%2Bpack

Although identified as an Airborne demolition pack, there is proof that ground troops used this as well, in addition to Marie Raider units utilizing the pack in the Pacific, so I don't think it was all inclusive to just Airborne units..

Leigh

Alright thanks, I figured if a piece of gear was any good your average soldier would use it.

Rakkasan187

I just took a look in Johnathan Gawne's book "Spearheading D-Day, American Special Units in Normandy". There were no pictures of the demolition pack but there is some very good information about the demolition units and beach obstacle demo teams and good pictures of the demolitions equipment carried and used...

A very good book with excellent photos

Leigh

ironsights66

I just took a look in Johnathan Gawne's book "Spearheading D-Day, American Special Units in Normandy". There were no pictures of the demolition pack but there is some very good information about the demolition units and beach obstacle demo teams and good pictures of the demolitions equipment carried and used...

A very good book with excellent photos

Leigh

There is now one less used copy for sale on amazon. I can't resist a good uniform and equipment book.

Now while on the subject was the " satchel charge bag" only used to carry M1/M2 tetrytol demo blocks and be disposed of either by throwing away or being blown up? I could imagine it being kept as a bag for carrying random demolition stuff.

Rakkasan187

I can imagine that there were spare satchel charge bags that did carry extra det cord, tape, pliers and other items.. As you said, if a Soldier thought a piece of gear was good, they would use just about anything..

I will take a look and see if I can find any other information for you in some of my engineer books..

Leigh