Unusual Canteen Cup

VMI88

I picked up an unusual canteen cup recently and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. It seems to be made of a plated steel with a partially rolled edge. It's not rolled as much as an aluminum WWI-era canteen cup but it's got more of a roll to it than any WW2 cup I've seen. It's also unmarked. Has anyone seen one like this?

post-265-0-29980900-1526949437_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-29501200-1526949473_thumb.jpg

268th C.A.

These were made out of steel as well in WW2, due to aluminum needed for aircraft production. Its also been bent quite a bit on the edges...

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Looks to me like it might have been bent by the user with a pair of pliers or something, it's pretty uneven.

milsurp_scout_14

Most of the cups with this type of rim I've come across have been marked on the bottom; either 1942 or 43 dated; and have been BADLY rusted. My latest one had rust covering about 60% of it. Previous one had rusted a pin hole in the bottom. Yours is the first non-rusted I've seen.

'Flage Guy

These were fairly common many years ago in the surplus stores; used one extensively in the Scouts, and it's still in great shape (I think it was mint when we bought it :huh: ).

They were made by a number of contractors...here is one made by Foley Mfg. Co., who are still with us, in 1942...

post-3226-0-33447600-1527052934_thumb.jpg

'Flage Guy

Detail of the folding handle with the maker's stamp in the bottom portion.

post-3226-0-58173000-1527053022_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I went back with a magnifying glass and found some very faint markings on the bottom of the cup that can't be seen with the naked eye. It was stamped very lightly and unevenly -- even with a magnifier you can only make out a portion of the marking.

By the way, my cup does have some rust on the inside where a wet canteen sat in it. Appreciate the information!