2 Unusual Navy Patches for Review

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Recently picked up this unusual navy rate with this other patch that I believe to be US Shipping Board, but I am not sure of its purpose? The anchor patch is about the size of a typical CPO hat badge. Any thoughts on what they are/purpose? Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-43761600-1526868929.jpg

Recently picked up this unusual navy rate with this other patch that I believe to be US Shipping Board, but I am not sure of its purpose? The anchor patch is about the size of a typical CPO hat badge. Any thoughts on what they are/purpose? Thanks ABN

USSB United States Shipping Board Mark

MastersMate

The CPO Musician looks to be of the WW 1 or earlier vintage. The direction thr eagle is facing is different. Looking straight at its shoulder vs looking up towards the wing tip..

The Machinist's mate looks very much like a novelty rating badge that would have been worn on a 1900s/ 1920s Middie type civilian wear jumper. You see a lot of that style rating badge, but done in colors never used by the USN..

The MM1 is a legit sea service rating badge, just cannot remember which one. It is obscure and rare.

MastersMate

MM1 is very similar to the 1914 maroon Public Health Service marine engineer. The P.H.S. chevrons are supposed to be placed 1/32" apart, very close spacing.. Have not been able to find if anything was changed in the between the WW period.

MastersMate

From the 1914 PHS Uniform regs.. Next available illustration is from about 1940 which shows a wreath arranged like a chevron with the specialty mark. Unsure what was used in the 1920s and 1930s..

post-162267-0-81081200-1527024586_thumb.jpg