A hard day for the old man of Co A (115th Inf POW - Normandy)

Baron3-6

I picked up this uniform at the gun show next to SoS this year from a collector selling off a large pile of uniforms he found over the years in the Chicago area. This one struck out to me as having a 29th Infantry Division patch, 2 overseas bars, and a single, clear laundry number in the collar. I also knew there was a morning report index available for the entire division, so I might get lucky in my research. The price was very reasonable, so why not? That night, I pulled up the spreadsheet and searched for the last 4 digits of the serial number and an “H” last name…..only one match…..he lived in, you guessed it, Chicago.

This fellow was born in Wisconsin in 1907. Completed school through the 8th Grade and started working in 1924. He worked for Packard Motors for the next 16 years, finishing there in 1940 driving car haulers to dealerships. He then went to work at the Morton Mfg Co running a spot welder making ammunition boxes for the war effort. In September 1943 at age 36, married without dependents, he was drafted into the US Army. He was initially assigned to Co M, 255th Inf Regt, 63rd Division at Camp Van Dorn, MS. While there he was assessed and found fit for overseas duty with the following limitations: Arthritis of the lower back, cannot carry full field pack for extended periods, and no strenuous physical activity. This assessment did not prevent him from being sent overseas as an infantry replacement – and being swept into a war as a guy who was twice the age of many of the “men” in his company. He reported to Company A, 115th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division on 17 July 1944. His unit had been in continuous combat since June 6 1944 and it’s safe to say that unit structure with the 115th had probably broken down somewhat due to high casualties among leadership. The old man of Company A would only see 14 days of combat. On 30 July 1944, he was captured by the Germans. The 115th Infantry Regiment was outside of Percy (just south of St Lo) at the time. The 116th Panzer Division was launching counter attacks in the area; it is likely he was swept up in one of these. One other Soldier, a Tennessean, from Company A was also captured. Initially sent to Stalag XII-A for processing, he was later shipped to Stalag IV-B. He would be there in December when the camp became crowded with the thousands of Americans captured in the Bulge. At some point, he was forced to record a radio propaganda message that was intercepted and relayed to his family: “Hi Ma, all the best to you, Love….” He would be at Stalag IV-B until March of 1945 when the prisoners were moved east. He was liberated on 16 April 1944. Given the date, he may have been one of prisoners left behind at Stalag XI-B during the march east and liberated by British forces. At any rate, he survived the largest war the world had ever seen. He was shipped home, received his Good Conduct Medal, ETO Ribbon with 2 Campaign Stars, and petitioned to receive the CIB, which was approved. He passed away in the Chicago area in 1991, age 84.

I restored the uniform with the period correct pin-on insignia and ribbons. The history was composed from his fire-charred file from NARA along with research into the 115th and Stalags.

post-83679-0-50442000-1526868250_thumb.jpg

post-83679-0-80680500-1526868261_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Awesome save, nice to have the full story.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

everforward

Thanks guys!

This is a great example to have faith in your detective work and to 'follow the Yellow Brick Road..' :)

It's a very similar story in detail to a 29th 4-pocket I found out of the woodwork, uncleaned and only a laundry number. With the help of some USMF members it turned out that the soldier was a 29th Ranger and landed at Normandy with the 175th, only to be wounded about 3 weeks later. The laundry number led to searching for records at NARA and rest just fell into place. There was no story with the coat to begin with, it simply wrote itself and came alive.

• 3 weeks later...

This jacket is now for sale:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/311654-fs-29th-division-normandy-pow-uniform-w-research/

I've come to realize that I can't keep everything - over 70 uniforms and counting - but, I feel like I did my service in putting the story back with it. Hope someone else will enjoy it and it gets some display time.

Normandy1944

Could the one who bought this uniform send me a message?

I have a Normandy related 29th KIA jacket from a 115th infantry regiment soldier who also was just 2 weeks in combat before he got killed on July 30th.