DSC, NC, Croix de Guerre Grouping to Royal H. Shepherd

bobgee

Pvt. Royal H. C. Shepherd was born in 1888 in Indiana. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps at Houston, Texas on June 3, 1917. Following his swearing-in and Recruit Training at Paris Island, he joined the 95th Company, 6th Marine Regiment at Quantico, Virginia on 22 August 1917. He arrived in France aboard USS Henderson on 7 Oct 1917. Dog_Tag.JPG

As were most USMC units they were assigned stevedoring and guard duties upon arrival. His records show that while at LeHavre on 24 November 1917 he went AWOL from his unit for about 5 hours 45 minutes for which he was found Guilty and sentenced to lose 1/3rd of his pay for 1 month. Following training and a "baptism of fire" in the Toulon sector near Verdun from March 15 to May 15, 1918, the 1st Bn, 6th Marines along with the rest of the 4th Brigade arrived in the Chateau-Thierry sector on 1 June 1918 to help stop the massive German offensive headed towards Paris, now just 30 miles distant. The 95th Company took up postions at Lucy-le-Bocage. 1/6 was located in St. Martin's Woods opposite Belleau Wood and came under a massive artillery barrage. Engaged in the heavy fighting around Belleau Wood, Shepherd was cited for "distinguished conduct in the face of the enemy" as follows, "Conspicuous for aid in carrying wounded under shellfire from front line to battalion dressing station on 12, 13, and 15 June". On July 12, 1918 this resulted in a Second Division Citation. The following month he was engaged against the enemy in front of "Parcy-Tigny" south of Soissons from July 17th to July 19th. It was here that he was again cited as follows:

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross (# 98) is presented to Royal Hamilton

Clater Shepherd, Private, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary

heroism in action near Tigny, France, July 19, 1918. Private

Shepherd entered the action with badly burned foot, which fact he

concealed from his officers. Shot through the shoulder early in the

advance and unable to hold his position in the firing line, he

carried wounded men to shelter for six hours, all of the time under

heavy fire of the enemy. He yielded to treatment himself only when

he had become exhausted from the effects of his injury.

General Orders No. 117, W.D., 1918

Home Town: Houston, TX

Other Award: Navy Cross (Same Action)

Canon_ALL_PICS_11_07_125.jpg

In addition, he was awarded a French Croix de Guerre with bronze star.

Croix_de_Guerre_OBV.JPG

In November 1920 he received the Navy Cross for this action from the Secretary of the Navy via the Commandant of the Marine Corps, MajGen John A. Lejeune.

While in Base Hospital No. 1, recuperating from his wounds, he was assigned guard duty at the Hotel Magenta where he was found sleeping on post and was found Guilty and sentenced to forfeit 2/3rd of his pay for 3 months. In spite of these infractions, in September 1920 he received the Good Conduct Medal (Rim # 27250) with citation.

GCM_No._27250_OBV.JPG

He was awarded a WWI victory medal with bars AISNE, AISNE-MARNE & DEFENSIVE SECTOR along with 3 bronze stars and 2 silver stars which were delivered at the Houston USMC Recruiting Office on December 18, 1920. When obtained the Victory Medal was in bad shape and was missing its AISNE Clasp. I have restored it using an old replacement clasp and an old ribbon.

Victory_Medal_Obv.JPGVictory_Medal_Obv.RESTORED.JPG

Though clearly entitled to a Silver Star Medal and a Purple Heart Medal, there is no evidence that he ever applied for these awards when they became available in 1932.

Mr. "Roy" Shepherd died in 1972 at age 84. Copies of original documents and other items follow.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Canon_ALL_PICS_11_07_126.jpg

These are the boxes for the DSC and the NAVY CROSS and the Good Conduct MedalCanon_ALL_PICS_11_07_126.jpg

These are the transmittal leter and orginal SecNav citation for the Navy Cross

CMC_Transmittal_Ltr_NAVY_CROSS_original.JPG

SecNav_NAVY_CROSS_Doc._Original.JPG

This is his miniature Fouraguerre and Authorization Card

Miniature_Fouraguerre.JPG

Fouraguerre_I.D._card.JPG

This is a copy of the original Croix de Guerre award citation superimposed on a copy from his file.

CdG_Award___Original___File_Copy.JPG

This is the original Western Union Telegram notifying his parents that he had been severely wounded. It took a while to reach them!

WIA_Telegram_Original.JPG

This is his original Honorable Discharge Certificate. Note in the upper left hand corner the notations awarding him the Victory Medal ans bars and stars. Also on the reverse, note there is no mention of his Distinguished Service Cross.

Discharge_Original_OBV.JPG

Discharge_Original_REV.JPG

This is the original document for the award of the rim-numbered Good Conduct Medal.

GCM_Doc_Original.JPG

Also received with this group was a very badly chewed up original shoulder French Fouraguerre. I surmise that his uniform was ravaged over the years. The condition of everything is "as is". In spite of what I did obtain, some collectors will notice that his Pershing and later War Dept. DSC Certificates, USMC Service Certificate, his Columbia WIA Certificate are missing. Have no idea what became of these if he ever had them. The fact that he did not apply for the SSM & PH indicates to me that when his war was over, it was over. He did serve as the Texas State Commander of the Legion of Valor at some point.

This is the original tissue copy of the 2nd Division HQ Citation for the DSC.

DSC_Doc_original.JPG

His file indicates that the Medal was "delivered on 18 April 1919", By this time he was back with the 95th Company, 6th Marines on Occupation Duty in Germany. If anyone know whether a DSC presentation photo exists of him, I sure would like to know. Thanks for looking.

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Great grouping ! Miniature Fourragère is a nice piece.

Do you have a picture of the Marine ?

Thank you. No period photo. I'm looking for one. He received the DSC April 1919. Maybe one exists. Like to find it!

Bobgee

Very nice grouping! I have seen very few Indiana related WWI USMC groupings. Interesting that they do not have him listed in the Indiana book of merit. They have many listed who moved away from Indiana before their enlistment.

FYI - His USMC record says he was born in Oaklawn, Indiana. His obituary says he was a native of Terre Haute. I believe he came to Texas at a young age. His father was a Union Civil War veteran.

Bobgee

FYI - His USMC record says he was born in Oaklawn, Indiana. His obituary says he was a native of Terre Haute. I believe he came to Texas at a young age. His father was a Union Civil War veteran.

Bobgee

That's interesting as Oaklawn and Terre Haute are almost at opposite ends of the state. His parents must have had quite a wander lust. Any idea if he received a WWI service medal from Texas or Indiana?

Going through his personnel file I noticed these unusual documents. Have never seen them before. They are pre-printed with a 95th Co, 6th Marines heading and the printing looks Germanic to me. I'm thinking these the creation of an innovative First Sgt to ease the onerous tasks of record Book entries and are unique to the 95th company. USMC Service Record Books are usually found to be in excellent condition. Keeping them that way is a "pain in the butt" (speaking as a former Company Commander!)

Enjoy....Semper Fi....Bobgee

O_S___Wound_Stripe_Docs.JPG

That's interesting as Oaklawn and Terre Haute are almost at opposite ends of the state. His parents must have had quite a wander lust. Any idea if he received a WWI service medal from Texas or Indiana?

Texas didn't award one and I don't know about him receiving one from Indiana. I kind of doubt that he would have since he enlisted in Texas.

Bobgee

Going through his personnel file I noticed these unusual documents. Have never seen them before. They are pre-printed with a 95th Co, 6th Marines heading and the printing looks Germanic to me. I'm thinking these the creation of an innovative First Sgt to ease the onerous tasks of record Book entries and are unique to the 95th company. USMC Service Record Books are usually found to be in excellent condition. Keeping them that way is a "pain in the butt" (speaking as a former Company Commander!)

Enjoy....Semper Fi....Bobgee

O_S___Wound_Stripe_Docs.JPG

Hmmmm....Now wondering if these were intended to be carried by the enlisted to "prove" his entitlement to O/S & Wound Stripes. Anybody seen any AEF forms like this?

Bobgee

• 3 years later...
teufelhunde.ret

Today being the 94th anniversary of the start of the Belleau Wood campaign, a most appropriate time to revive this old thread for newer members to see... the price paid by so many Marines...