Reproduction T-5 Parachute Camouflage Canopy For Displays

Av8er

Quartermaster Inspector based in Belgium has announced that a reproduction T-5 WWII camouflage parachute canopy suitable for display purposes will be available for sale shortly. For those who are not familiar, think of Quartermaster Inspector as the At The Front supplier for Europe. The canopy should go nicely with the reproduction T-5 parachute harness and pack assembly that Quartermaster Inspector already sells. Note- Quartermaster Inspector also recently restocked a new run of their Normandy version T-5 harness and pack assemblies.The only concern is that it says that the canopy diameter is only 21 feet. Still, if you need a camouflage T-5 canopy for your airborne display, you cant beat a brand new canopy with suspension lines at a price of 399 (about $470 at current exchange rates). Here is a link to Quartermaster Inspectors website where you can see photos of the canopy:

https://qmi.be/parachute-canopy-ww2-camouflage-pattern.html

WWII Parachutist

I wonder if they are targeting the film sector with the chutes, where the details aren't nearly as important as to collectors and reenactors.

A 21-foot canopy does not fit ANY parachute pack - not the chest reserve, or the main pack, or even any AAF pack for that matter. I suspect perhaps they made it smaller to fit their repro reserves, which are patterned way off and too small. Plus the details on the canopy are, shall we say, less than one would expect from a true reproduction. Have they not seen an original? Or just cheap?

That is why I am thinking the film sector, where you just need something that looks similar in the background. There are better options for serious collectors or reenactors.

I wonder if they are targeting the film sector with the chutes, where the details aren't nearly as important as to collectors and reenactors.

A 21-foot canopy does not fit ANY parachute pack - not the chest reserve, or the main pack, or even any AAF pack for that matter. I suspect perhaps they made it smaller to fit their repro reserves, which are patterned way off and too small. Plus the details on the canopy are, shall we say, less than one would expect from a true reproduction. Have they not seen an original? Or just cheap?

That is why I am thinking the film sector, where you just need something that looks similar in the background. There are better options for serious collectors or reenactors.

I first found out about his project from Peter DeBrander, the owner of Quartermaster Depot, when I was in Normandy for the 72nd Anniversary in 2016. I mentioned to him that there was likely a demand for reproduction canopies for displays and he said that he had indeed been approached by a film company that was seeking 10-15 canopies for a film project. At the time he was debating whether it was worthwhile to proceed with the project. I later ran into him again at the military flea market in Saint Mere Eglise and he told me that he had decided to proceed with the project. He was also stocking a reproduction parachute scarf with the WWII camouflage pattern, but the camouflage pattern was only printed on one side. I emphasized to him that if he proceeded with the canopies that he needed to ensure that the camouflage pattern penetrate throughout the fabric like the original material. From the photos on his website it appears that the printed camouflage pattern does not completely penetrate the fabric, but it is better than the scarfs he had previously produced. Why he would shortened the canopy to 21 feet offers no explanation other than as you say, he is catering primarily to film orders. I told Peter that he should make the canopies as close to the originals as possible as there was a demand in the reenactor/living history community for a reasonable facsimile for their displays if it was reasonably price. Why he would elect to compromise to something less as far as dimensions is best likely addressed directly by Peter.