Recent 473rd find

doyler

As if an Idd 473rd uni itself isnt cool enough, yours has the dis too! Good on ya for catching this one Ron.

Thanks for all the comments

Brian Dentino

All I can say on this one RD is WOW! Great score. Those DI's are KILLER and uber rare. Great pick up, once again your "nose" led you in the right direction.

Here was a large grouping for a 473rd Inf Officer. Interesting, their nickname was Flak Feet, I guess because the regiment was formed primarily from disbanded AAA Battalions, the 434th, 435th, 532nd and 900th Anti-Aircraft Artillery-Automatic Weapons battalions.

http://www.jamesmountainantiques.com/product/officers-grouping-473rd-infantry-regiment-flakfeet/

Here was a large grouping for a 473rd Inf Officer. Interesting, their nickname was Flak Feet, I guess because the regiment was formed primarily from disbanded AAA Battalions, the 434th, 435th, 532nd and 900th Anti-Aircraft Artillery-Automatic Weapons battalions.

http://www.jamesmountainantiques.com/product/officers-grouping-473rd-infantry-regiment-flakfeet/

Saw that but was sold...no price listed

skypilot6670

Some pieces that are moth nipped. The bugs just don’t count. This is is outstanding. The DIs are over the top. Nicely done Ron congrats. Mike

Some pieces that are moth nipped. The bugs just don’t count. This is is outstanding. The DIs are over the top. Nicely done Ron congrats. Mike

Thanks Mike

Beautiful pickup! Any indications that there used to be a scroll sewn on?

No scroll I can see.

I do have one from a local vet with tab and Corps Dis

manayunkman

Rather have the 3 DI's, rather than a scroll, especially Italian made ones.

I had blown up the picture and thought they might be Italian.

Because this soldier has DI's would having a scroll be redundant or is it personal preference?

I took a look at the officer's group and he had scrolls but no DI's.

Those DI's are very impressive Ron.

manayunkman

Because this soldier has DI's would having a scroll be redundant or is it personal preference?

Hard to say why one and not the other(or both)

Some may have not gotten the Did or just not worn them.The way they attach is not the most convienient .I can see why the tabs pin would break trying to push it through wool or heavy officers gabardine material.

Kurt Barickman

​Hi Ron,

​Nice grouping, glad to hear that things still work out for those under the bridge.

Kurt

​Hi Ron,

​Nice grouping, glad to hear that things still work out for those under the bridge.

Kurt

Thanks

Its not a on ebay.If you look you will find.....

Nice group! I think the extra DI was for the overseas cap.

THanks Robert

I agree on the cap.I have seen one worn as such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently purchased a uniform group for an officer. The Ike jacket had the 473rd Regiment cloth tab and in the pocket were a pair of DUI's with the folding "pressed metal" attachments.

post-3558-0-60712100-1560367309.jpg

post-3558-0-23081900-1560367350_thumb.jpg

The group also contained an Officers dress coat with only the 5th Army patch but signs of having the DUI's attached plus a chocolate Officer's shirt---which I have never seen in person.

I knew about the organization of the 473rd Regiment but little about their combat history. I found a Text file scan of the 1945 unit history on a website which includes names of KIA and those receiving awards. Then I researched the bio of their commander---Col. William Pelam Yarborough (May 12, 1912 ~ December 6, 2005), West Point Class of 1936 but retired a General. He had served in several Airborne units including the 509PIR. In the 1960's, he helped organize the Special Forces and he was the one who invited President Kennedy to view his troops which resulted in the Special Forces being authorized to wear the Green Berets.

• 1 year later...

Many replacements from RD came in late in April 1945 bringing along the long jackets they were issued in the States. Some of these, eventually, were discharged soon after the end of the war and returned home still wearing 'em. The most if not all of the "original" AAA personnel that went in to form the regiment in january 1945 was re-equipped with Ike jackets in Montecatini. Not everyone received the DUIs or the scroll, and many did not have it sewn on. 

rgds

marcello

2 hours ago, mbiava said:

Many replacements from RD came in late in April 1945 bringing along the long jackets they were issued in the States. Some of these, eventually, were discharged soon after the end of the war and returned home still wearing 'em.

I guess I didn't show all of the group.  It included an Officers 4-pocket dress coat without any insignia or ribbons, pants and a "chocolate" officer's shirt that I have never seen, much less owned.  

Asking price:  $150    Huh!!!

649167226_Group473IR---20.jpeg.e54cb98d3393c9aab462537bdbddaa5e.jpeg