Identified USN D-Day M-1 Helmet

vette

stealthytyler

After looking at the last name on the inside of the shell, could it actually say Goodsill or Goodsell? Hard to tell. Unfortunately, I do not see a draft registration card for Mr Goodall so I cannot compare his signature. I did look through a lot of draft cards and every signature shows the A going straight into the L...if that even means anything at all. Thoughts??

post-131595-0-43351900-1551334998_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Ok sorry, I'm coming off too strong with my concerns of this helmet. I have no intention of being a pain, I just thought it would be ok to discuss viewpoints here. I will pump the brakes and back off. I look forward to seeing the outcome of the research your doing, 1966. Thanks

Will be interesting to see if he recognizes it when he sees it. All the evidence points to it being his. He was in communications rather than demolition, and there was like as not different markings at the subunit level. Looking at other pics of comm units on Omaha and Utah, the helmet fits that general pattern. I learned a long time ago that collectors overthink these issues in many cases, and that assumptions are made that aren’t based on a lot of evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do not think it’s wrong for someone to be skeptical about anything and when we are trying to get to the bottom of a mystery, in this case it’s a helmet I believe it’s health not to wear “rose colored glasses”( google the term)LOL. I see no problem as long as it’s respectful and helps in the process.

I’m pulling for it to be his helmet but time will tell but that’s part of the fun with collecting, the solving of a Unknown.

Marty

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this helmet. The rim is a differrent color because there is no rust on a stainless rim to bleed through changing the paint color. The USN is different shades because the paint is thicker on the bottom portion thus causing less bleed through.

Steve

or the USN stencil was on first and then the blue/gray band painted then the bottom of USN touched up?

1966ww2collector

If you could find his actual signature and compare, that would be helpful..

I agree. I have put together enough info to be able to request his records. It might take a while but there should be several examples of his signature in his files. Thanks.

1966ww2collector

I too want this to be real to mr Goodall - question what is the C and G on the chinstraps - pencil, ball pen ink or marker?

The C and G on the chinstraps appear to have been done with a stamp.

The CAG is neatly scratched into the paint on the back edge of the liner.

The penciled "Goodall" is on the inside of the shell.

The stenciled name on the top of the helmet is a mystery for now. If he picked the helmet up in Norfolk at Signalman School, it could be anyone.

I am planning to go see Mr. Goodall in April. I haven't pushed too much for what I want. He has lots of stories and I'm just happy to listen. Who knows, he may have a picture somewhere of him in his helmet. In talking with him, I don't think he really cares about the helmet as much as the conversation.

I do think it is telling that he spent at least a couple of months, depending on exactly when he lost the helmet, wearing a 29th Division helmet without someone insisting that he get a Navy helmet. I think we all have a handle on the basics from historians. What we don't know are the things that didn't go perfectly. History (and Saving Private Ryan :) ) tells us that he should have had a red arch. This helmet might or might not tell us that things weren't always perfectly executed as planned. We have a body of evidence that is pointing toward Clifford Aden Goodall, Jr.. I think this is a good discussion. I understand where Tyler is coming from. We've communicated offline and I think Tyler is keeping an open mind. This isn't fitting in with what he knows to this point in his hobby. I've been to Normandy twice. The last time was for the entire month of July 2016, staying in a historic house in the Dog Green section of Omaha Beach. If I learned anything while I was there, it was that nothing seemed to go as planned on Omaha Beach aside from the end result.

One last note, Mr. Goodall told me that the 29th helmet stayed on a shelf for years. At some point, he noticed that the insignia was getting dark. So he decided to touch it up with paint. He said he thought he had done a pretty good job. Can you imagine if that helmet showed up on here with a claim of a 29th KIA soldier? It won't now because it rests in Bedford, VA. But you get my point.

I'm happy to answer more questions.

1966ww2collector

post-153641-0-63292500-1551384095.jpg

I tried taking more pictures at different angles and with different lighting.

I think this is a much better representation.

In my opinion, it says "Goodall". The "a" is separated from the "l's".

Doug

stealthytyler

wow much better image. Yeah, that looks more like Goodall now. Super exciting, cant wait for you to get his records with his signature

RememberThe5thESB

If anything, after thinking and trying to reconstruct say the "method" or direction the letters were written, it's almost totally likely that that little dash is an overexageration of the tail of the a.

Just try it yourself for a little more "concrete" evidence if you will.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

1966ww2collector

I got an email back from Mr. Goodall last night.

His only concern with the helmet is the shade of the gray stripe. He remembers that it was a very light gray or dark white. He said he called a buddy who was also in the 7th NBB and, without prompting, said it was a light gray. He did say that he realized that people sometimes messed with souvenirs trying to make them look better and that might be what happened with this helmet. He himself did it with the 29th. This helmet has a coat of varnish / shellac on it that has aged to a brown. It has made the original green look like dark brown. That and the bleed through rust has created a dark patina. No mention from the 7th NBB buddy of the red arch being missing.

He also said "The writing does look like mine or close."

His last comment was:

"It would be nice if this could traced back to whoever picked it up on Omaha Beach

Cliff"

So, a period signature should be able to wrap this up. I'm working on that. The only thing better now would be a picture of him wearing it.

Because this story is so extraordinary, I'd like to see if I can possibly trace it back to the person that picked it up and brought it home. If anyone knows any of the links in the recent chain of command, I'd appreciate a PM.

Doug

USMC-RECON0321

Doug,

This is an amazing story and helmet. As we talked about this at the SOS, I'm so happy to hear he is still with us and with sound mind! I would love to be a fly on the wall when you two meet in April and see his reaction. Let me know if you need a volunteer film crew. LOL

Congrats and happy for you.

Troy