Identified USN D-Day M-1 Helmet

vette

I too have a navy lid that appears to have a shellac on it. Is it possible that this was an uncommon practice DURING the war due to the Navy being exposed to salt water thus rusting? I am yet to see an Army lid with shellac. Though, I do know that in the 1950s and 1960s, shellacking things for preservation was pretty popular. So maybe these were veteran applied post war?

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. If a helmet has shellac on it, wouldn't that help add to its authenticity? We know that was a common practice done by early collectors. You can tell it hadn't had shellac put on it recently. Personally, I think that makes it more legit.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. If a helmet has shellac on it, wouldn't that help add to its authenticity? We know that was a common practice done by early collectors. You can tell it hadn't had shellac put on it recently. Personally, I think that makes it more legit.

Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you took two unnamed USN helmets, both painted identical and no way of tracing either one of them. One has aged shellac, the other beautiful but not 100% sure it's original. I'm buying the one with shellac. Granted, it was altered, but I know it was preserved for a reason. I think this helmet is legit. With so many fakes out there, the ones with shellac might be the safer purchases. Just my two cents.

IF a helmet has had shellac applied in the 50s or whenever after for me and IMHO the helmet is no longer original

I believe for the shellac to be applied you would have to remove all dirt, and dust to apply it.

I believe shellac is sold in flake form then added to alcohol to make the glaze. Thats the original way to do it, Im sure there are ready made shellac products.

Any way my point is that by adding the shellac and cleaning the lid you have removed a lot of its history and charm. It might have been popular in the 50s, 60s, for vets but would you want a 4K lid in your collection that might have had shellac applied ?

This helmet needs to be in the hands of someone that has a lot of knowledge on navy helmets to help prove or disprove some of the opinions brought forward here.

I hope it turns out to be 100% correct

- Dean

I wouldn’t be surprised if this helmet had no shellac applied to it. A friend of mine got two helmets from a house clearance that had been sitting in a garden shed, one an M1 and the other a MK2 British helmet - both used by the Royal Navy. They both exhibited similar wear.

Let’s face it these are now 74 plus years old and un-messed with helmets are going to be in a tiny minority - but they do come up.

I think people need to look further on than the JKash episode - he wasn’t churning out thousands of helmets on a production line, maybe 50 or 60 good fakes with originals thrown into the mix.

I’m leaning more to the side that this particular helmet is authentic.

Rich

IF a helmet has had shellac applied in the 50s or whenever after for me and IMHO the helmet is no longer original

I believe for the shellac to be applied you would have to remove all dirt, and dust to apply it.

I believe shellac is sold in flake form then added to alcohol to make the glaze. Thats the original way to do it, Im sure there are ready made shellac products.

Any way my point is that by adding the shellac and cleaning the lid you have removed a lot of its history and charm. It might have been popular in the 50s, 60s, for vets but would you want a 4K lid in your collection that might have had shellac applied ?

This helmet needs to be in the hands of someone that has a lot of knowledge on navy helmets to help prove or disprove some of the opinions brought forward here.

I hope it turns out to be 100% correct

- Dean

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you Dean. Shellac in no way distracts from this helmet. Yes, shellacking was a popular preservation technique in the 50's and 60's when veterans and collectors alike tried to make them nice displays of their wartime service. These things were worth about $5.00 at most back then and were being sold in surplus stores for $2.00. They gave no thought to you and me back then, it was just a way to preserve it. To me, it is an equal part of the history. A vet was desiring to preserve his wartime item, how cool is that?

And while we know today that they should not have done this, it is by far more preferable than the oil wipes guys have been doing to helmets since the 70's and even to this day, some still do.

As for shellac itself, it was available prepacked in the 50's. The mixing technique you mention goes back to the 20's.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you Dean. Shellac in no way distracts from this helmet. Yes, shellacking was a popular preservation technique in the 50's and 60's when veterans and collectors alike tried to make them nice displays of their wartime service. These things were worth about $5.00 at most back then and were being sold in surplus stores for $2.00. They gave no thought to you and me back then, it was just a way to preserve it. To me, it is an equal part of the history. A vet was desiring to preserve his wartime item, how cool is that?

And while we know today that they should not have done this, it is by far more preferable than the oil wipes guys have been doing to helmets since the 70's and even to this day, some still do.

As for shellac itself, it was available prepacked in the 50's. The mixing technique you mention goes back to the 20's.

Hi Scott

While I agree the use of Shellac preserves the paint and metal underneath, I also believe by adding it IMHO it looses a lot of its original character. What you are left with is a well preserved shell with a gloss coat on top.

If that saves the actual Paint and history underneath it then Im all for it, but for me I prefer an Unmessed with, dirty, dusty, even slightly rusty all original piece.

Once again thats just what I like and what I look for. As far as this helmet goes If it turns out to be original and the shellac has saved its paint and history from deterioration then the Vet has done a good job.

I just feel that even though the helmet could be all original, its not an unmessed with piece anymore.

- Dean

Also just to add I do NOT think this is a Jamie Kashetta special, I really want this to be 100% original and I wish the seller all the best with the sale.

- Dean

• 4 months later...
1966ww2collector

Update on this helmet...

The stars aligned on this helmet last week at the SOS. Because the story is pretty incredible I want to take some time to explain how this helmet was IDed at the show and the crazy back story to it. So here goes...

Steve, m1helmetdepot.com, had this helmet at his table at SOS. When I arrived on Thursday, it was one of the first ones that caught my eye. I primarily collect helmets with research potential so I was looking for clues. I noticed that the liner was stenciled "Brewer" and the wear patterns matched up perfectly. Looking closer at the inside of the helmet, I noticed a penciled name "Goodall". For some reason, I felt like the "Goodall" name was more likely the owner than Brewer. I can't tell you why, but that was my feeling.

I left it alone, and sometime that day or the next I did some brief digging. There were thousands of "Goodall's" in fold3. I left the helmet alone. I was leaving Friday afternoon and figured if it was still there, I might give it more thought. On Friday afternoon, I decided to try to do deal on several helmets with Steve. This one was included. Steve was gone to lunch so I texted him my offer. While I was waiting to catch-up with Steve, I decided to give the ID search one more try. I googled, "Goodall dday". A Facebook link popped up of a sailor named Goodall on Omaha Beach telling a story about losing his helmet in a minefield and having to pick-up a replacement helmet on the beach. Turns out the helmet he wore the rest of his time was a 29er KIA. That was the point of the story. Here is a link to the video on youtube.

While I was waiting on Steve, I took another look at the helmet and noticed for the first time, the initials C and G stamped at the base of the helmet chinstraps right where they attach to the bales. I looked again at my Google search and saw that the guy's name was "Clifford Goodall". I was beginning to think I was on to something. Steve came back and accepted my offer. He knew that I like IDing helmets and I think he sensed something was up. "Did you figure it out?" "I think maybe..."

I showed Steve the C and G on the chinstraps, the penciled "Goodall" and then played the video for him. Steve looked it over and said it definitely looked like a Beach Battalion style helmet. In the meantime, Scott Stevens was standing behind the table watching as I was putting the pieces together. At that point, I was fairly certain that I had found the lost helmet of Clifford Goodall. The moment was a little surreal. But it got better. Steve stopped me and said "See if you can find out his middle name." He pulled the liner out of the helmet and showed me where the initials CAG were scratched into the paint on the lower back edge of the liner. I pulled out my phone again and there it was... Clifford Aden Goodall, 7th beach Battalion! I think Scott commented that the hair was standing up on the back of his neck. Steve said "You're welcome..." and smiled.

Really unbelievable how it went down. I still can't wrap my head completely around it. All I can assume is that someone clearing the minefield decided to keep it as a souvenir. They took it home and put shellac on it and stored it on a shelf. At some point, it made it's way out of the woodwork and by some crazy chance, the story finally came back together.

I want to thank Steve for selling me the helmet and for being happy for me when it all came together.

Doug, it was indeed a hair standing on end moment for me. Right there, at the show, in a matter of minutes, this whole thing came together.

Honestly, if someone had told me this whole scenario, I'd of been skeptical to say the least. Yet, I can't deny that I'm sure this helmet is none other than Goodalls and is in fact the helmet he lost on the beach that day.

That’s pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing!

So is this vet still alive? Quite a story! Two of his helmets are preserved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doug, it was great catching up with you at SOS. Phenomenal helmet and really what every collector dreams of finding!! Really nice detective work and that video of the vet is the cherry on top.

Best,

Farhaan

Yessir, that’s an amazing story! Having been there and hearing it first hand from you Doug made all of us as excited as you were! ...and once again Steve proves what a stand up guy he is for being happy for you and completing the deal!

Incredible story Doug! Congrats!

Rick