Identified USN D-Day M-1 Helmet

vette

Burning Hazard

Here is the reason why I'm a bit scared of the helmet; this one was posted on jkash's website, note the coating on the shell is very "shellac like", I don't know if jkash's is original but I have doubts.

I've been seeing more D-Day beach battalion helmets lately than any other division painted helmet, what are the odds that so many seemed to have been brought back?

Just my thoughts

Pat

post-8715-0-40164600-1526794835_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the help cropping and posting for me. Just a thought, could the change in color on the left front brim be caused from the soldier grabbing it there to remove and replace it on his head causing a chemical reaction? I do not see varnish. Could someone point it out to me? Is any of you are g to the Ohio Valley military show on the 16th? If this helmet doesn't sell. It will be there for any one to see and buy. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and opinions. I still would like to hear from more of you on this helmet. Bill

ArchangelDM

Here is the brown I spotted, is this normal on a stainless steel rim. Is it paint ? Is anyone else concerned with it ?

Why has the green rim stayed green while the rest of the helmet appears to be a brown colour, seems if the stainless rim is unaffected by the rust then why the spots of it on the right

Just observations here, anyone else concur

Yours

Dean

post-8861-0-66584400-1526828299_thumb.jpeg

post-8861-0-24192200-1526828308.jpeg

I started out collecting german helmet and with TR helmet there are ALOT of fake camos’ and now the market is flooded with fake m1 helmets. I would like to see this one in hand to be 100% sure but from the pictures I do not have a problem with this helmet and with a inspection period a person will have the opportunity to study it for themselves. Good helmet .

Marty

Burning Hazard

Looking at the cropped photos again it's starting to look much better; I think it does have a thin layer of varnish/shellac over the shell, most likely post-war preservation.

Pat

Looking at the cropped photos again it's starting to look much better; I think it does have a thin layer of varnish/shellac over the shell, most likely post-war preservation.

Pat

I have a german para helmet with a coat of varnish/shellac on it.To the purists its the kiss of death but it an original helmet and it can be changed.I guess it can be stripped but to me its now part of its history.I I try to sell or trade it all I get is a bunch of whiners and all the "problems" it has.I was glad to have it as an example and still am even though I have a direct ground pick up from the war that's unmessed with.It took years to find one that hadn't been through dealers etc.

Many "collectors" did this back in the 1960s and early 70s as "preservation".The liner has also been treated at one time with a unknown preserveative.THese old collectors use to also use vasoline/petroleum jelly to "preserve" liners and over the years you can see it just hardened the leather.I own a couple of german helmets where this was done.Cant change it but that's the line of thinking back in the day was to grease the liners with vasoline.I know guys who done it.

When a helmet was shellaced is hard to say.With this navy helmet that was my first impression of it when I saw a picture of it from the show it was purchased at.Pictures can be mis leading at times as well.I see there is a few stress cracks and some definite age to the helmet.To me its clear that the band was painted first then the USN was added over the band as seen the thicker paint of the band seems to have kept the letters from yellowing/rusting/age or what ever.

Looking over all at the helmet from an interior view to its other points I personally like it....but that's me.Its very similar to one I have to a shore party sailor.My band isn't as thick of paint and very faint but the colors are very similar.

pararaftanr2

Another back-door transaction, no doubt. What a shocker...................not! Be patient, it will probably show up here in the near future though.

Good morning. I pulled the helmet from bay with one day left because I had listed it twice with no bids. I did have offers. For many, eBay is a bad word for buying rare relics. I know that many of us sell militaria that we would love to keep, like this helmet. For many a chance in a life time helmet. My biggest interest is in Civil War images. I cannot collect everything. I know many of us that cannot. This helmet is still for sale. I was thinking about waiting to take it to the Ohio Military show next month so one can get a hands on look at it. I paid good money for it. I will relist it again and see what happens. If one is interested in it while on bay, make me an offer that I will be satisfied with and I will change the auction to a buy it now. If no bids, I will have it at the military show next month. I do appreciate this forum and its members and all of the expertise that comes with it. Bill

Longbranch

Good morning. I pulled the helmet from bay with one day left because I had listed it twice with no bids. I did have offers. For many, eBay is a bad word for buying rare relics. I know that many of us sell militaria that we would love to keep, like this helmet. For many a chance in a life time helmet. My biggest interest is in Civil War images. I cannot collect everything. I know many of us that cannot. This helmet is still for sale. I was thinking about waiting to take it to the Ohio Military show next month so one can get a hands on look at it. I paid good money for it. I will relist it again and see what happens. If one is interested in it while on bay, make me an offer that I will be satisfied with and I will change the auction to a buy it now. If no bids, I will have it at the military show next month. I do appreciate this forum and its members and all of the expertise that comes with it. Bill

Most bids occur during the final 5 seconds. List it for auction at the minimum you'd like to get and see where it goes. Or decide how much you want for it and offer it at that price. But this game of "taking offers from everyone and then picking out the favorite one" is sooooooo annoying. LOL. I totally avoid transactions with sellers who start playing that game. I mean seriously, we aren't talking about a multi-million dollar government contract! I've found that sellers who do that don't really want to sell anyway, unless they receive an absurdly high offer. Just my personal experience, and I can definitely appreciate wanting to get a decent return on a costly investment while trying to ensure it doesn't end up being a loss!!!

I wish you luck. Just be careful about alienating possible buyers.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I was stated earlier that the helmet was posted on JKash's website.

Vette, did you buy it from JKash?

I don't think anybody mentioned it being on JKash's website, just that there was a similar looking one on his website.

• 4 months later...

I am the seller. I think this helmet has been through enough scrutiny with jealousy in mind. No, it has not been for sale on some site called Jkash. I don't even know who that is. I know where this helmet came from it is as good as any I have seen on this forum. I have a good reputation with what I sell. I will guarantee this helmet to pass the x ray or chemical test if needed. I was coming on this forum to see if anyone is interested in this helmet so I can bypass eBay charges. I had just sold a very nice rare expensive helmet to a regular you know on this forum and he is perfectly happy with it. So buy it on eBay or make me a good offer. Thanks for all of your expertise. Bill

Hey vette. I dont think anyone is judging your integrity and I doubt anyone is jealous. It is a common practice on this forum to analyze and question all pieces of militaria, especially potential high end pieces. It is part of the hobby and a good way to practice fellowship in this community. Because the shell is not named and there is some sort of shellac all over it making it harder to analyze, there will always be some level of concern with your lid. If you have any issues selling it and need to get rid of it, maybe start the auction off low and let the market dictate the value and authenticity of it? Just a thought. Again, good luck with your sale and thanks for continuing the dialogue.

painted lids are a mine field. thanks to the clown who think up these gems from a toilet much doubt and caution has become the norm of collecting. good real lids have been judged as repro while fake made garbage has been passed as ok. thank your dishonest clowns

Hey vette. I dont think anyone is judging your integrity and I doubt anyone is jealous. It is a common practice on this forum to analyze and question all pieces of militaria, especially potential high end pieces. It is part of the hobby and a good way to practice fellowship in this community. Because the shell is not named and there is some sort of shellac all over it making it harder to analyze, there will always be some level of concern with your lid. If you have any issues selling it and need to get rid of it, maybe start the auction off low and let the market dictate the value and authenticity of it? Just a thought. Again, good luck with your sale and thanks for continuing the dialogue.

Couldnt have said it better

- Dean

painted lids are a mine field. thanks to the clown who think up these gems from a toilet much doubt and caution has become the norm of collecting. good real lids have been judged as repro while fake made garbage has been passed as ok. thank your dishonest clowns

Thats the truth of the matter as stated by Costa

- Dean

I think it has a fighting chance, this one and the other that was on a certain x forum members page are day and night in difference. That patina above the stainless steel rim many try to fake it, to get it right.

One looks forced, artificial. The other develops over the course of the helmet actually being used then sitting for years. Also dust doesnt always settle uniformly on a helmet on top of it being handled, you'll have areas of the helmet more dusty than others

That spot on the rim that's been circled in my opinion is from the lacquer being brushed over areas on the rim where the paint for the most part was gone but left marks. I have a few helmets that there's paint loss on the rim but you can still see where that paint had been by darker areas on the stainless steel, that applied with the coating of lacquer and rust particles that were brushed up that had been between the rim and pot IMHO is why it looks like that.

I'm thinking the lacquer was applied to preserve the helmet

It looks like the helmet that was on x members page was copied from one that was posted years ago.

Here's another navy lid that's been lacquered.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182724-wwii-us-navy-helmet-with-mystery-markings-yellow-anchor-circles/