Identified USN D-Day M-1 Helmet

vette

Hello forum. Been down with a sickness for quite a while. I tried to sign on a couple of weeks ago but the forum would not accept my UN and PW. I was going to get opinions on this helmet. Here is the helmet that was acquired recently. I had to buy it when I did because a few guys were also interested. I would like the forums opinion on this helmet. I knew the reputation of the seller and jumped on it. I know many do not like to buy helmets on eBay. I have it on eBay auction right now. I will have to resize my pictures.

Burning Hazard

I'm wondering whether this helmet is coated with shellac or aged artificially. I'm not liking the staining on the stainless-steel rim, that's usually a red flag for a chemical being used.

My gut feeling is telling me that there's is something not right about this helmet.

Pat

ArchangelDM

Whats truly odd is that the rim of the helmet retains its original factory paint and the color changes only on the actual helmet.

Looks like the rim was taped off then painted, the pics are not great either so this is an observation from low res pics. What is also odd isthat the rust/dirt on the USN is very neat in where it ends. It covers the top half of it then you can see a line where it finishes.

Seeing a few red flags with this one

Just my opinion

Yours

Dean

Blacksmith

As said above, looks like classic signs of an artificially-aged helmet. I believe at very best it’s been messed with (varnished). I also don’t like the way the stencil is applied. Doesn’t conform to originals that I’ve seen. The fact that several folks picked it up and left it would make me uneasy. Real Navy BB helmets are incredibly sought-after, and unlikely to survive even dealer setup.

Lastly, and we talk about this on the forums a lot, the source is not a consideration when authenticating a helmet. The helmet has to stand on its own.

just-a-good-ole-boy

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this helmet. The rim is a differrent color because there is no rust on a stainless rim to bleed through changing the paint color. The USN is different shades because the paint is thicker on the bottom portion thus causing less bleed through.

Steve

This helmet looks pretty good to me. Steve pretty much stated the same things I see here. Not really sure why everyone is on the band wagon here but, to each his own. I like this helmet.

manayunkman

Looking at the seller's product I would say they are a picker who has a bend toward militaria.

They have sold some cool stuff.

This helmet was relisted with a higher price the second time.

ArchangelDM

Says came from a reputable dealer and long time collector, question is did anyone own this on the forum ?

Be good to see better pics

ArchangelDM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this helmet. The rim is a differrent color because there is no rust on a stainless rim to bleed through changing the paint color. The USN is different shades because the paint is thicker on the bottom portion thus causing less bleed through.

Steve

Was this yours Steve ?

Burning Hazard

This helmet looks pretty good to me. Steve pretty much stated the same things I see here. Not really sure why everyone is on the band wagon here but, to each his own. I like this helmet.

What band wagon?

Burning Hazard

vette, is it possible for you to take a picture of the helmet outside in natural light? I would like to see it before I make any final conclusions.

Pat

I was busy working on my honey do list. I will get some day light pics tomorrow. Just to answer a couple of questions on here. I want to let this helmet sell itself. That is why I didn't post the sellers name. I do not see any shellac any where. I do respect all thoughts. a few months I had sold a Pickelhaube skull and bones Peninsula for 6500.00. I had many offers and lots of opinions. The buyer was from Belgium. I gave him a return policy with no questions asked. He left me a super feedback and a huge thank you. All I am asking is that I get good opinions and reasons for them. If it isn't any good, I will tuck my tail between my legs and move on. I cannot answer why there is yellow at the brim but it isn't shellac. I had first look at this helmet while others were looking on. No one had a chance to buy it before I inspected it. There are some blue finger prints inside the shell. Maybe I can get them checked out? I will try and get some better pictures and size them to post on here. I do respect the expertise that is offered on here.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I think this helmet looks pretty. I don't know anything about painted helmets so I can't say anything except the more better resolution, lighting, and close up the pictures are the better.

Says came from a reputable dealer and long time collector, question is did anyone own this on the forum ?

Be good to see better pics

I think youll find that this Forum only accounts for a small fraction of the helmet collectors out there and only a very tiny percentage make their way onto this Forum.

What do I know? Does the blue band get applied first before the white? From what I see rust has bled through the green and changed the tone of the white above the blue. The blue had preserved the dexterity of the white at the line where it starts to cover the blue. The yellow on the stainless only is on about 10% of the brim. I am trying to get these new pics down loaded for your viewing. It looks like I will have to put these new pics on the auction. maybe the gentleman that did the transferring before will help again? Thanks

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Here you go, I cropped out the concrete to reduce the file size to meet the forum limit but didn't crop out any of the helmet.

post-153751-0-22264200-1526793113_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I cropped out the concrete to reduce the file size to meet the forum limit but didn't crop out any of the helmet.

post-153751-0-47014500-1526793531_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

On this one I had no choice but to crop out the chinstrap, it was either that or resizing the image.

post-153751-0-62695000-1526793599_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

on this one I had no choice but to crop it in order to keep the same resolution while bringing the file size down, sorry

post-153751-0-68406200-1526793802_thumb.jpg